Moose's Cheat Cards for the Nikon D3100

Woohoo! The wait is finally over...I'm proud to finally announce (after many months) my 1st ever Cheat Cards for the Nikon D3100.

Nikon D3100 Cheat Sheets for Beginners

If you've ever been in a situation and wondered which settings to use with your camera, these nifty little cheat sheets will tell you exactly which settings I would start with.

My settings are specific to the Nikon D3100 and select Nikon lenses. This allows me to provide very detailed settings which will improve your odds of capturing a keeper.

Sound good? Click here for more info.

For this first pack, I created 17 Cheat Cards specifically for the D3100 and the Nikon 18-55mm kit lens combo. In the next few weeks, I'll be rolling out additional packs for other popular Nikon lenses mounted to the D3100.

In case you're wondering, these Cheat Cards can be printed at home or viewed digitally on an iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle Fire or desktop computer. If you have more questions, check out the F.A.Q.

The funds I earn go directly to supporting my young family (wife & baby boy). Thanks for your love and support!
124»

Comments

• Hi @Jeanne, the 55-300mm set will be compatible with your 70-300mm lens. The only difference will be where it says to set your lens to 55mm. In your case, you would just set it to 70mm. All the best!
  • I accidentally put a typo in my email when I purchased. Never received the link. Can you help?
  • edited February 2017
    @mamatorie - Email me (support "at" cameratips.com) and give me your full name so I can look up the order and resend to the correct email address. All the best!
  • edited February 2017
    Hi, any update on your cheat sheet for 35mm for the D3100? I have bought your other cheat card, but was wondering if you had the time to create one for the 35mm.
  • I have had the D3100 for about four years , after one day in the park with my family and dog in the local park I am shooting much better quality photographs with the help of the cheat cards many thanks
  • Just found you via Google search for the very silly how to change image review screen (up arrow, who knew?) Loving other threads I've found here. Love my D3100 but have not taken time to really get to know it. Everything's iphone these days. Just took out the real camera for some printable shots. Miss it!
    Thanks I'll be back.
    - JCCraves
  • Hi Moose , have recently returned from a property photography course and told the camera is not suitable as doesn't have automatic exposure bracketing, will your Cheat Cards give me the settings which will compensate this ? am using a company that edits the pictures post production which can be expensive is it necessary found the edit functionality on the camera which is a bonus as apart from adding blue sky eliminates a lot of the issues. Any advice would be useful before getting a camera with AER.
  • If you're using any mode but Manual, you can bracket with the exposure compensation button. It's a bit more cumbersome than auto bracketing, since you have to make a shot, then adjust, and make another shot, and so on, but it works fine. When you operate the {+/-} button, the amount of offset will appear on the far right of the display. The compensation persists even if you turn off the camera, so you have to make sure to set it back to 0 to avoid accidental exposure problems.

Just as with the control itself, the exposure compensation dial operates in 1/3 stop increments.

The main problem here is simply developing a routine in which you remember what you're doing, as it's more convenient if you do the same thing every time. Compensation will show in the shot's EXIF information, but it's easier to keep track if you get a routine.

If you're shooting in manual mode, and want to bracket exposures, you can, of course, simply change the aperture or shutter speed, but in order to change exposure when you do this, you must disable auto ISO or it will just shift ISO to undo what you just did.

The D5x00 family has bracketing, though I don't know just how it's set up. The D7x00 family also has bracketing which is quite versatile. On the D7100 you can do sequences up to five shots, either straddling or in one or the other direction. ON the D7200 you can do up to nine shots.

As an alternative, if you shoot in Raw mode, and use a Raw reading program such as View NX-2 or Capture NX-D you can do exposure compensating in post. The main disadvantage of this is that it's slow.
  • Thanks for the response, upgrading camera with auto bracketing
  • I just purchased cheat cards for the 16-55 mm VR lens. I'm excited to get started. Thank you!