Best Lens for Street Photography

edited December 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hi, I like very much to shoot street photography. I have a 18-55mm kit lens, so what other lens should I buy?

Comments

• edited December 2012
    There's one simple answer to this, but some may disagree. A good lens would be the 50mm. It's a great lens for off the cuff work. It's practical, small and super sharp. The 35mm is also top notch.
  • edited December 2012
    Hey Ridelske, so which is best between the 35mm or 50 mm? :)
  • edited December 2012
    This is always a good question, and to be honest it's all down to personal preference. My best advice is to pop your kit lens on and set it to 35mm. Take a few shots out and about and see how you like the focal distance. Then change it to 50mm and do the same. This way you will get a feel for what it's like working at a set focal distance. Remember that the image quality you will get from the kit lens will not be as good as either of the primes. Both of them, unless you spend a great deal more, are f/1.8. Great bokeh!

My choice would be both.

For starters I would buy the 50mm, then you will have a nifty fifty.
    Regards
  • edited December 2012
    Thank you for your answer, I'm going for 35 mm. :)
  • edited December 2012
    I'm going to split the difference and go for the 40mm.
  • edited December 2012
    Vanorvis,
    The 40mm is a good lens too, only thing is that it's around £70 more. I'm sure @chedyus will love the 35mm though. I'm assuming you're saving for it? What price have you found it at?
    Regards
  • edited January 2013
    I have been watching a couple used ones on eBay. They seem to be going for around $200.00 used.
  • edited January 2013
    The35mm is 219 euro new and you pay 200 euro for a 40mm used one from eBay.
  • edited January 2013
    Chedyus, the 40mm is a macro lens hence it being dearer. I personally don't buy second hand but there is some good deals around. Have you tried looking on digital review? It's a good site, the only issue is it ships from Hong Kong. I've had no issues with them. The 40mm on there is £199, but I'm not sure about other currency. Have you looked on amazon? It's £144 for the 35mm?
  • edited January 2013
    I'm not going buy anything second hand. About digital review, I watch them on youtube all the time. The Kay guy is freaking awesome. He is the reason I bought a DSLR. He made me like shooting street photography and everything about photography. I can't wait for each day off to go out and take photos.
  • edited January 2013
    And here, in Ireland, is an offer with cash back from Nikon. For example, when I bought my D3100, Nikon gave me 40 euro cash back. For the 35mm lens they gave me 25 euro cash back. The offer ends January 21st. I'm not going to buy second hand. :)
  • edited January 2013
    I love that bloke too. I've been watching a long time now. Kai teaches in my language, and there's no BS; he's just straight to the point. That's a great deal; we had it here as well. I'm glad you decided on the 35mm; have you seen the review that Kai does?
  • edited January 2013
    Yes, I've seen the review. I saw almost all the videos from their youtube channel. Right now I'm watching "Weather Sealing a DSLR": http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IA-VX2B6Vns heh
  • edited January 2013
    Hi Riddelske. I just changed my mind and I'm going for the 50mm. :)
  • edited January 2013
    Good choice too. In time you will grab the 35mm as well. I hope it serves you well. All I can say now is get out there and snap away. I don't get enough time because I'm always poxy working. My last bit of advice is to try shooting in black and white; street photography comes out good. Make sure you get a Flickr account so we can see how you do. :)
    Regards
  • edited January 2013
    Well I have a Facebook account and I upload some photos to the street photography album. Just search for Marian Mateias on Facebook. The album is public.
  • edited January 2013
    I only chose 64 photos, but I snapped almost 1000 pictures in two days. :)
  • edited January 2013
    Good job. It's a shame that the British/Irish life doesn't like the camera as well as the Chinese. I find that when Kai does it they don't give a hoot. He produces some cracking shots, so maybe they're used to it. When I'm out and about I feel like a stalker if you catch my drift. Anyway, you will enjoy the 50mm. :)
  • edited January 2013
    I also was fumbling between 35mm and 50mm. I tested my friends 50mm f/1.8g and noticed it's more of a person shooter than the 35mm. Street photography is neat and I will probably have both lenses soon. Mostly I like evening/nighttime street shots during the Christmas/New Years Eve period.

I was checking for 28mm and 24mm manual lenses too. Especially at evening time, autofocus wont hold that well.

Riddelske do you happen to know any good guidebooks for street photography during the evening? Please don't suggest the ones that start off with carrying a tripod.
  • edited January 2013
    To be honest kravattisolmu, I don't. I've never really got into it as my time is taken up with work and family. It depends what you want out of a book that's not widely available on the internet. I think knowledge is the best tool and your creative side works well. For me, a personal ambition is to be more creative, but time is an issue. There are a lot of good books out there. Look for a book called "From Snapshots to Great Shots for D3100". That holds good info.
    Regards