New to DSLR Photography

I searched the forum and haven't found something related to my question (maybe I'm not using the right keywords), so first I want to apologize if there is a post similar to this one.

I want to start in the photography world, but I have zero experience. I want to start with a DSLR, instead buying a compact camera and then changing to a DSLR.

I've been researching what I should buy and what can I afford, and the Nikon D3100 has popped up. The price is affordable, the lens variety is great (at least that's what I think) and the majority of forums and blogs I have seen say that the D3100 is a great camera for beginners.

I'd like to get some opinions or recommendations from experienced D3100 owners...thank you!
2»

Comments

• I'm pretty sure they all ship internationally but someone may be able to correct me here if I am wrong.

I like refurbished because it means it as "as good as new" or repaired back to factory specs.
  • edited March 2013
    That's what I was thinking about buying a refurbished item.
  • edited March 2013
    In my opinion, for another hundred bucks or so you can step up from the D3100 to the D5100 and gain a few usable features. It is a cost effective camera of good value. I'm not sure what your budget is, but I know B&H has a D5100 refurbished for a good price and Adorama has a D7000 refurbished that is calling my name, for only $749.
  • edited March 2013
    The price difference of 100 dollars sounds good, but I'd have to save up another 2-3 months to do that. At this moment I'm too anxious to get my first camera, so I don't know if I will be able to wait that long. Is it worth the wait? Will I be able to learn step by step with a D5100?
  • edited March 2013
    They are both great cameras! Here is a link to help you compare the two, but I really think you will be happy with either. Compare the extras on this link and decide if it's worth the extra wait to you I suppose. Maybe keep an eye out for both and see which one pops up for a good deal first.
  • edited March 2013
    @Moose, I have another question. With a 300mm lens will I be able to take shots of the moon?
  • @Bojo - Yep, a 300mm lens on your D5100 would be equivalent to a 450mm lens mounted on a full frame DSLR. At an equivalent of 450mm, you'll be able to get some nice moon shots.