New to DSLR Photography

edited March 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I searched the forum and haven't found something related to my question (maybe I'm not using the right keywords), so first I want to apologize if there is a post similar to this one.

I want to start in the photography world, but I have zero experience. I want to start with a DSLR, instead buying a compact camera and then changing to a DSLR.

I've been researching what I should buy and what can I afford, and the Nikon D3100 has popped up. The price is affordable, the lens variety is great (at least that's what I think) and the majority of forums and blogs I have seen say that the D3100 is a great camera for beginners.

I'd like to get some opinions or recommendations from experienced D3100 owners...thank you!

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Hi @bojo, welcome to the forum and the world of DSLR talk. You have certainly come to the right place; you will find all your answers here. :)

Before I start to blabber on, you need to know one thing. The world of DSLR is not cheap. You will start to find answers to your questions and normally it leads to someone recommending one thing or another, but fear not we shall help as much as we can.

The D3100 is a big step to make but it's great for learning. The main feature of the camera is it has a guide mode, meaning it will take you through the steps in learning to shoot in different environments. Of course the camera does have a fully automatic mode also.

So in answer to your question, if you have the cash, go for it! You won't be disappointed and there is so much to learn.
    If there is one thing I would pass on to you it would be this, no matter how many times you will get frustrated there is always an answer somewhere in life on how to overcome it.

Take some time and read some of Moose's advice on the camera and his tips.

• @Bojo - My advice is to first find a lens that matches the type photography that interests you most. After deciding on a lens, then match that lens with a DSLR you can afford (new or used).

Over time, you'll most likely upgrade your DSLR a couple of times, however, you're favorite lenses tend to stick with you.

If you can give me an idea for the types of things you're looking to shoot and a ballpark for your overall budget, I can point you in the right direction. :)
  • edited March 2013
    Hi, thank you both for the answers. About the first comment, that's what have seemed to me; it's not cheap, but I think the investment will be worth it. That's exactly why I'm considering the D3100. Those features look great for me.

@Moose thank you! I think that's actually a great idea. I'd like to take pictures of animals (mainly birds).

I've been looking through some different blogs, forums and some web pages where I have seen great great pictures of all kinds of subjects. Because of that, I'd like to also shoot portraits, macros, landscapes, sunsets and some artistic photos (but I think that is kind of out of context at this moment). Those are my goals.

Now about my budget. I'm thinking about spending around $600. I don't live in the USA, so I have to ask for a shipment to my country including taxes and all that stuff.

So that's why I was considering the D3100.

Thank you again. :)
  • edited March 2013
    @Bojo - Considering your interests, I would go for the Nikon 55-300mm VR lens (see my visual guide). It's got the reach (zoom) you'll need for wildlife and the range (between 55-100mm) to do some portraits. I've also shot some great landscapes and sunsets with the lens.

On eBay (used), you can usually find this lens for around $250. That would leave you with roughly $350.

With your remaining budget, you can find a used D3000 with 18-55mm kit lens, between $200 to $250. The kit lens is good for general outdoor shots in bright light and has a much wider field of view compared to the 55-300mm lens. So if you want to capture wide landscapes, you could switch to the 18-55mm.

This particular combo would leave you with an extra $100 for shipping, fees and a memory card if you don't already have one. Hope that all makes sense and happy shooting!
  • edited March 2013
    Hmm, actually I was thinking on that same lens! Thanks for the advice again, now I have a better point of view about what I need. :)

By the way, do you have a review for the D3100 similar to the D3000 that you linked here?
  • @Bojo - I don't have a quick reference guide for the D3100, but I do have a number of helpful resources for it here.

If you're looking for actual reviews of both cameras, I suggest reading Jeff Keller's reviews over at DCResource. Here's a link to the D3000 review.

In my humble opinion, I wouldn't focus too much on "image quality" comparisons between similar DSLR's like the D3000 and D3100. Image quality is ultimately determined by the lens and your technical skill.

Happy shooting! :)
  • edited March 2013
    Nice, thank you. And sure, the picture quality doesn't depend on the camera, the photographer is the one who can make a good or a bad one I think (and that's what it seems).
  • edited March 2013
    I was in the same dilema as you not knowing what to buy. I have had point and shoots but only ever took pictures in the auto modes. I'm always blown away with the technical side, not even understanding most of the manual. I took the plunge and got the D3100 and I love it. I am not daunted by changing settings in fear of getting it wrong. The menu is so good. With that being said, I am really new to this and I am sure that I am going to be baffled as I get more into setting up in manual, but I have taken good shots in manual. That is something I have never done until I got this camera. I don't think you would be disappointed. Good luck whatever you choose.
  • edited March 2013
    I just got my D3100 and the 18-55mm lens came with it ($139.95). I have learned to make sure the lens says DX because it's better quality and a more affordable lens for my Nikon. Also, it has VR which stops vibration blur that you actually have to turn on, on the lens itself. I don't have alot of money so I buy used from B&H because they have an outstanding reputation. I'm getting my next lens that will be a 55-200mm DX/VR lens for $134.95 or the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO macro D for autofocus for $129.95. That way I can take landscape shots and also have an adequate zoom range for most of my needs!
  • edited March 2013
    I'm seeing a lot about used and refurbished, and after reading about it, it seems that refurbished is better than used. Is this right? Would you recommend a refurbished or a new item?
  • edited March 2013
    Thank you @dlm66, you have reminded me of Sigma and Tamron lenses. I'm thinking they can be a great for me because, just like you, I don't have too much money. :P
  • @Bojo - Refurbished is "usually" the best way to go, unless the used lens is in excellent to mint condition. Believe it or not, some people purchase a lens, take a few shots and decide it's not for them. B&H usually has a rating alongside their used equipment.

Sigma and Tamron lenses are great, however, I've found the Nikon telephoto zoom lenses (55-200mm and the 55-300mm) to be a bit sharper. Again, if you can find one of them used in great condition, I say go for it. :)
  • edited March 2013
    Nearly all of my gear is refurbished. :D
  • edited March 2013
    I'm going to search a bit more for a used (or refurbished) and good lens probably. Thank you again.
  • edited March 2013
    @Adelphos do your refurbished items include your camera?
  • edited March 2013
    Yes, my D5100 and kit lens are refurbished from B&H. I wanted to get into photography and knew if I liked it I could always bump up to a newer model. I'm debating between the D7000 and new D7100 since I don't see a need for a full frame for a hobby, but I'm in no rush whatsoever. I'm going to wait it out and enjoy my refurbished gear while I'm at it.
  • edited March 2013
    To quote Moose, "if you can find one of them used in great condition, I say go for it."
    How do you know if a second hand lens is in great condition before you buy it, apart from it not looking cosmetically abused?
  • edited March 2013
    If you're buying from a reputable resource such as B&H or Adorama they have sort of a grading scale next to the used items. If you click on the scale it gives you the criteria they use for deciding what each used item is rated at.

For example an 8 out of 10 may show some wear but no damage to the lens or body, but a 6 might show considerable wear and a tiny bit of flaw on the lens (or something like that, that was just my example).

If you're buying from a person in town off craigslist or something, just inspect it and use it before hand and hope for the best. I personally try not to buy like that just because there is no 90 day warranty in case something goes bad.
  • @bluestar - Just like @Adelphos mentioned, reputable stores will have some sort of a grading scale. I purchase a lot of used gear from KEH.com and they have a very specific grade for each lens. They will also refund your money if the lens is not exactly what you had imagined.
  • edited March 2013
    B&H, Adorama and KEH.com all show the condition of the item. Do they all work like Amazon? If I live out of the US and I can buy stuff and ask for a shipment to my country (as I can do with Amazon), will these pages will work for me?
    Do you know some another page or pages where I can see the item's condition?