50mm or 35 mm lens?

edited July 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I'm trying to decide between the 50mm f/1.8 and the 35mm f/1.8. I'd like to be able to shoot indoors as well as outdoors, but I don't want to have to be right in my subject's face to take a picture. Exactly how far away do you stand using the 50mm to get a clear shot (what's the minimum shooting distance?) Also, what's the closest you can stand to the subject using a 35mm? I'd be very grateful for your help!

Comments

• edited July 2012
    You have to make tough choice! The primes are excellent in low light and are super sharp, but at the cost of being fixed at 35mm, 55mm or 85mm.

For indoors, the 35mm is best and is wide enough to meet your needs.

However, you must get up close, perhaps too close for some folks.

Use your kit lens to test at 35mm and 50mm. You can see the difference yourself.

I have the 35mm and it really performs well in low light. I am looking at the 85mm f1.8G for close ups and I will skip the 50mm. Just my approach.
  • edited July 2012
    Okay, but do I have to stand five feet or fifteen feet away using the 50mm? And with the 35mm, am I three inches away from someones face? Also, with the 50mm, can I fit two or three people into a picture if I want?
  • edited July 2012
    It depends, try it. You already have a 50mm in your kit lens. Just set it to 50mm and try it. Then set it to 35mm and try it. See which one you like best. The main benefit is the 1.8 aperture which lets in loads of light.
  • Thanks! I'll wait to buy the lens and try experimenting with my 18 to 55mm first to see what I like better.
  • edited July 2012
    Also Marilyn, remember the D3100 is a DX sensor camera that receives the lens mm at 1.5x the mm indicated. With our 3100s a 35mm lens is actually a 52.5mm and the 50 is a 75mm. Your 18-55mm is actually a 27-82.5mm. If you are shooting indoors as well, you'll appreciate having the 35mm (aka 52.5mm). Plus, the 1.8 G series is amazing. You will love your choice either way!
  • edited August 2012
    The 35mm is amazing. :)
  • edited November 2012
    I have the 50mm af/s 1.8g and I love it.