Things in Nikon D3100's box

edited July 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
What are the little black things in Nikon D3100's box?

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Hi Anukk,
    What black things? All I can think of are the DK-5 and the BS-1. One of which is the Hotshoe cover and the other is the eyepiece cover, mainly for shooting in live view mode. It stops the light from entering the viewfinder.

Hope this helps.

If this is not what your describing then please let me know.

Riddelske
  • edited July 2012
    I know what Anukk is talking about. I have 3 of them, all 3 are black.

I've taken a picture of the items beside the Lens cap to the camera. Check it out here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4394131934311.182380.1318812974&type=1&l=2a019ecc0d

The first two items are the same except for their size.

The first one is about 2.5cm/1 inch long and the second one is about 1.5cms long; both with a hinge in the middle, but laying open look like a book. Both sides of the book are half-cylinders that look like they're made out of some kind of metal (the black plastic casing is around them); when folded together (using the hinge and the clasps) make a tube.

The third item is like a little clip that has Nikon DK-5 printed on it.

I'd love to know what these are too!

Thanks!
  • edited July 2012
    Those 2 items are to attach to leads when you attach the camera to a PC or TV.
  • edited July 2012
    Hmmm, can you show me (us) an example? What are leads? What about wires?
  • I am curious about what they are for also.
  • edited July 2012
    They are ferrite cores. You attach one to a USB cable if it hasn't already got one built-in.
    See page 116 of the manual.
  • edited July 2012
    What about the little clip thing (1st 3 pictures)?
  • edited July 2012
    If you look at shot 1 of 4 then it's the DK-5 I mentioned in my first post. It slots into the eyepiece and stops light from entering when you're using live view mode.
  • Thanks Riddelske!
  • edited September 2012
    Ferite cores are very handy if you are having interference problems when you hook up your camera to your computer. If you hear any added noise when you connect the camera to your computer or TV then you should put the core on the lead as close to the camera end as possible.
    My camera did not come with them so I suspect that the D3100 camera's being sold by Costco are not supplied with everything they normally come with.