Error Message

edited June 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I have just purchased a Nikon D3100. I turned it on the other day and an error message appeared saying- Error. Press shutter release button again. I did this but it did not clear the error. I am very reluctant to fiddle with it as I am a complete novice. I'm going to take it to a repair shop tomorrow and wondered if it was going to be an expensive repair? I would be grateful for any advice Thanks!

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Try: disconnect the lens, make sure the little tab at the camera end of the lens - which controls the diaphragm - is moving freely.

Make sure the lens is inserted fully. It should click when you twist it anti-clockwise.

If its the error on page 194 of the manual:

“Error. Press shutter release button again…”

Their solution is:
    Release shutter. If error persists or appears frequently, consult Nikon authorized service rep.

One fix I found:
    “…continuously hit the shutter release button for about a minute. It suddenly snapped back into place, and began working again. ”

Otherwise, if its a new camera, you should be able to get it fixed for free by Nikon.
  • edited October 2012
    I have tried all of the above with no success. Unfortunately I am in the USA on holiday and cannot take the camera to the agent in Canada! Do you know a reputable agent in Phoenix Arizona or any other solution? I have no camera for my Phoenix memories!
    Thanks,

Rosemary