Taking photos at a wedding.

edited July 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Hey guys,

I have received a lot of help from this forum and I'm hoping you can help me!

I am doing a favor for a friend and taking photos at her wedding in Vancouver Canada next weekend.

I am still getting used to using manual settings and I'm wondering what the best settings would be to take photos of a bride moving up the isle in potentially cloudy/rainy weather outside. I am lucky to be outside because I am rotten so far at taking pictures inside and adjusting my settings to make my subject clear and well lit.

It is difficult for me to find a setting that is clear and bright, and can keep the subject sharp, even if they are moving.

Im really nervous to mess up her wedding photos! Help! I just don't want to have to default to manual and I want to do well!

Thanks. :)

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Being outside may be more challenging because you can't control the lighting condition; you can only try and use it to your advantage. Try to avoid flash as it reduces the naturalness of any picture.

Without any doubt you'd have to do some trial and error test shots, but if you're shooting at daylight then you don't have to worry about a high ISO value. If shooting at night, then hope for the place to be well lit for a decent enough shutter speed with an ISO of 3200 or 1600.
    Set the white balance according to the environment.

Daylight conditions are undoubtedly suitable. You can have a low ISO and only have to worry about the aperture to balance the shutter speed of around 1/100 to avoid blurred photos (as the people won't stay still for you for most of the time to get a pic).

To keep the subject sharp, you can use the AI servo AF (bottom left on the quick menu), but it may drain more battery power.

Also try using the auto lighting optimizer, and flash as a last option.

I'm just an amateur in photography, so what I say may probably not be a very good advice, but I hope it helps a bit. :)

PS: you can switct to another mode other than M, like Av, Tv, or P. Also try AEB to later process them as an HDR picture.
  • @and009 this is great information! Thank you!