Lens for cymatic (water droplet) filming

edited May 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Hi there! I have been filming cymatics with a water droplet over a loud speaker with different frequencies being projected through it. The footage I have is stunning, but the (+20) macro close-up lens I have been using can only get so close with my T2i and kit lens.

I've seen you recommend the Raynox DCR-250. Is this more powerful than the (+20) macro close-up lens? I am on a very limited budget so before I spend $80 I really need to be certain this is the best lens to buy.

As things stand the (+20) was able to magnify to a great degree, but when I stretch the footage out to fill my screen in Final Cut it looses definition and for me the whole point is to film the sacred geometry that is appearing in the water droplet.

Is it possible to attach the (+20) I have to the front of the Raynox DCR-250 for greater magnification? I'm guessing that I'll be able to attach the Raynox DCR-250 to the front of my current macro lens because of the clip mechanism.

Also, is there a macro button on the kit lens? Thank you so much for answering this. I do appreciate it!

Comments

• Howdy @lightningtreefilms - Welcome to the forum! To answer your questions...

1. Your +20 diopter macro conversionlens/filter, would have a greater magnification than the Raynox DCR-250 which sports a +8 diopter. With the Raynox DCR-250 mounted to your kit lens, you'll be able to get within 2 to 4 inches of the water droplet.

2. As for retaining video quality, I'm afraid you'll run into the same issue. Generally speaking, you'll have some vignetting with the DCR-250 attached. In order to remove the vignetting, you'll need to "crop" the video which will effectively up-scale the overall dimensions. Up-scaling usually results in a loss of quality or sharpness. Take note that I'm not a filmmaker and don't have lots of experience when it comes to editing video.

3. The DCR-250 has 49mm front filter threads, so if your (+20) macro lens converter has 49mm threads you're in business. If it doesn't, you'll need to purchase a step-up or step-down ring depending on the size of your current macro converter.

Hope that all makes sense and happy shooting! :)
  • edited August 2012
    Hi I've been looking for someone who is documenting cymatics. LightningTreeFilms, is there a way we can discuss further? Would love to ask you about your personal observations. ?Robogold13@gmail.com and my name is Mike Tate. :)
  • I would love to see your pictures!
  • edited August 2012
    If you would like to me email me some my email is sunluvr5@cox.net.
    Thanks!