Night Event Photography

edited June 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hi, I'm a Graphic Designer. My Boss bought me the D3100 to take better photographs of our products for our catalogues. Then he also decided I will do all the photography at the Awards Ceremonies. The first event was a disaster. The camera was on Auto as I thought it would be easier. I don't have any lighting equipment so the flash was on, but it was still to dark for he camera to focus and it didn't want to take photographs. The people's movements in the photographs were all blurred, even when I changed modes.
The next event is also at night at a bowling alley. If you have no control over the lightning, how do I get sharp photographs of people while they are throwing a ball?

Comments

• edited June 2012
    First of all, forget about the Auto setting. Use the manual setting. Secondly, before you go shoot an actual event for work, PRACTICE! Then you will find out what shutter speeds/f-stops work best. Third, you need an external flash, no question about that. The built in flash isn't designed to be a main flash, but merely a fill for shots like this. Chances are if you're shooting in a bowling alley, the light will be fluorescent so make sure you adjust the white balance accordingly, or you'll wind up with a green tinge to your pics. Fast shutter speed and moderate f stop should get you what you're looking for. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.
  • edited August 2012
    Hi all,
    I am new to all of this and I still don't know how to change the white balance. How do I do that?