Video Recording Shuts off Automatically

I have a T5 that I've used now for over 3 years. In the beginning, I was able to record videos without a problem. However, now that I have been using a tripod more and recording video tutorials, it has begun to shut off automatically after recording only a few minutes. I am using a Sandisk 32gb SDHC card which is a Class 6. I have read about other people having the same problem and fixing it by buying a new faster SDHC card, a class 10 in particular. The problem I see with that, is that I have used a 32 GB Sandisk SDHC card, the very same type and class as the one I have now, without a problem to record tutorials. Which leads me to believe that there is something in my settings that I have changed that is making it more difficult to record videos for more than a couple of minutes. I have been reading other forums about how to adjust the camera's settings for video recording and I may have the resolution set too high for example. There are no clear instructions that I have found to adjust the settings for the T5. The manual sends me in circles or is difficult to understand and the instructions I find online are either incomplete or confusing-Canon made tutorials are particularly obnoxious. I know I'm not stupid because I figured this out before with other cameras. I used to shoot really sharp, clear videos with my little Kodak Sure Shot and my Nikon DSLR. But now that I have this fancy Canon (for me) I can't even do that. Enough ranting. Please tell me how to adjust my settings so that I can shoot videos of at least ten minutes in duration with a 32 GB SDHC card (Class 6). If it is impossible, please let me know, but I have a feeling that it is possible provided you have the settings adjusted correctly because I was able to do it before. If temperature has anything to do with it, and I'm pretty sure not, its been really hot here in the desert, over 100 degrees with low humidity. Would that cause my camera to overheat?

Comments

• Hi
    I can confirm your suggestions. Higher resolutions lead to shorter record times. I would always use a Class 10 card for any video work, but if you have been using a Class 6 with no problems, then I suggest your second observation may be correct and that is your ambient temperatures. Canon has always erred on the side of caution and are more sensitive to overheating than other brands. They will switch off the camera in prolonged live view mode much sooner than other makes.
    I would suggest as a test that you set a base resolution and try recording. If you still only get a few minutes then it could be due to the heat. With a base resolution you should be able to get the full 29 minutes of recording time.
    Regards
    PBked