D5100 with the Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD lens

edited April 2012 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
I bought the D5100 body and the Tamron 18-270mm F-3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD "travel lens". I have had nothing but loads of fun with this combination. I recently traveled to Vietnam with the intention on getting that "money shot" you know the one that just pops out of all those photos you show your friends and family when you get back from your trip.

Most of my photos were shot in "Auto" mode since I'm new to photography. The D5100 was recommended to me as an entry level digital SLR. My brother had purchased a second hand Nikon D3 just before we left, so we were both learning on the go. One of the advantages I had over my brother's set up, was that I didn't have to change lenses throughout the whole trip. Pretty much wherever we went I took only my camera slung over my shoulder (or around my neck in built up areas) with a spare battery and cleaning cloth in my pocket. I didn't need a bag for the extra lens.

We got our "money shot" photos and whilst there had them processed, very cheap compared to getting them done at home and even had a few printed on canvas very cheap too. It was worth the carrying of the tall cardboard tube on the plane and through the airports. - Aquanaut

Comments

• @Aquanaut - Thanks for sharing your experience with this setup. I'm sure it'll be beneficial for those considering the Nikon D5100 and Tamron 18-270mm. As you mentioned, those eye-popping shots can be hard to come by when traveling to new places. As you grow, you'll be able to capture those winning shots that are composed well and dynamically lit. If you ever have questions about a particular subject or scene, you know where to find me. Happy shooting! :)
  • I have just purchased the tamron 18-270 as well, I was planning a trip to grand cayman and wanting to pack light, also fairly new to dslr, I was very impressed with this combo, I read a lot of opinions by pros slamming this lense, was surprised to see you didnt, I am just starting to vere off the auto mode, understanding that I may leave his lense when I learn more, but I feel that it is very versatile and a good starter zoom, shooting mostly outdoor