Wedding photography

edited July 2016 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Hi all,

On the basis of a friend loving my photos, she has asked that I take her wedding photos!

I am flattered but concerned, and I don't want to let her down.

Has anyone else done a wedding with a 60D, and do any of you have any tips please?

It is a UK October wedding.

I have various lenses and I have two 60D cameras.

Eagerly awaiting your thoughts.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited July 2016
    Hi Flippy,
    I just wanted you to know the same thing happened to me. I was taking pictures for fun of my family members and my friend asked me to take her weddings photos. I told her I wasn't sure about that because I only did it for fun. She told me to have fun taking her pictures and they will be fine. I took her pictures last October and since then I have taken photos for five weddings, six birthday parties and two graduations. I did my first two weddings with a Canon T3 with kit lens. I made enough money to buy my Canon 60D. So go out there and have fun with your friends, you never know what will happen later until you try. Good Luck.
  • edited July 2016
    Hi,
    My usual reply to this sort of request is 'Don't' - based upon several years of wedding photography as a semi-pro. However, if you must, then here are some tips.
    a) The fact you have 2 cameras is good. You don't specify which lenses you have, but load 1 camera with something in the 35-50mm range and the other with something like a 70-200mm range.
    b) If it is possible to visit the venue beforehand then do so as this will enable you to suss out the kind of lighting and whether you need to consider flash or a tripod. Remember, in this country, October is not known as a sunny month, so if possible visit on different days with differing weather conditions. You will also be able to decide where you would like to place subjects according to lighting and architecture. Make notes.
    c) On the day, arrive early and do the interior shots of static items like flower arrangements, first. Although I mentioned a tripod earlier, a monopod is a better option for amateurs.
    d) Check with the relevant people ie. vicar or registrar if photography is permitted during the service. Some allow it, some will give you a spot at the end. Use the monopod and avoid using flash.
    e) So far, most of your shots will have been using the 35mm or 50mm. Now it is time for the outside for the big group shots. If you have visited the venue and done your homework, you will know if you need the wide angle lens or if you have enough space to use the telephoto for group shots.
    f) Don't be afraid to crop your shots, they don't always have to be full length. Use the telephoto for candids when people are not looking. Shoot in RAW + JPG and mostly in AV mode.
    g) Shoot till your fingers hurt and you are bound to get a lot of keepers, but most importantly, enjoy yourself.

There are so many other tips I could give you, because wedding photography is a challenging project, but I hope the ones I have given have helped you think about your task.
    Best regards,
    PBked
  • We use a 7D MkII, 2 60D's and a T3 for backup/remote. The main advice I can offer is lenses.
    We use the 'poor man's holy trinity':
    Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 ATX DX II
    Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM
    Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM

We also use some prime lenses:
    Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM
    Canon 85mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 35mm f2.8 Macro IS STM (for ring shots)

This set up with the addition of Speedlite's cover both indoor and outdoor events. And as others have said, shoot RAW (or RAW + JPEG)!