Problem with camera mirror

edited May 2016 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
I recently began having a problem with my camera. When I go to take a picture the little mirror gets stuck. After I go in and flip it a couple of times it works fine, until it happens again. Sometimes the shutter starts and lags for a few seconds (not on any long exposure) and then goes back to it's spot. Thoughts on correcting the issue?

Comments

• edited May 2016
    This has shown up as a question on another thread, in which an error message appeared, because the mirror had jammed. If you're sure it's a sticking mirror, I'd suggest taking it to be fixed. I think that the mirror hinge might be just enough out of alignment to allow the mirror to fall past the support that holds it in its correct position. This is something you don't want to mess with too much, because it will mess up your viewfinder focus.

If you are able to flip it up without having to manipulate it, I would suggest, at least as a temporary measure, to try using Live View to raise it. If that works, it should be less risky to the mirror and its mounting. And, of course, if it works, you can do it without having to take the lens off.
  • Thanks so much for your help. I figured it was more than I could handle.