Viewfinder display settings

edited March 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I have searched the manual and as manual settings as I can find in the camera, but I cannot figure out how to make the viewfinder/display stay on longer. For example, I turn the camera on and I am trying to learn what everything "means" on the viewfinder/information display (i.e., what the "F9" means, what the aperture icon means, what the "fine" resolution means, etc.), but before I have the opportunity to look at something and then go to the manual for reference, the display turns off. My battery is fully charged.

1. How can I make the display stay "on" longer so I can actually view things for more than 5-8 seconds?
2. What "button" do I push on the camera to make the viewfinder turn back on when the camera is still on?

I am not turning the camera off, but it just goes to black - if I select the "menu" button, then I go to a different window, not the initial "information" screen. In fact, this happens on every single window I view - whether it is the that initial information screen, or any screen in my menu.

I hope this makes sense. I am desperately trying to learn this camera, but it is extremely difficult when it turns off like this before I even have the chance to open my manual!

Comments

• Howdy @lunula - You can adjust this by accessing your MENU, navigating to the Setup Menu (wrench icon) and highlighting 'Auto off Timers'. This will allow you to adjust the duration before the monitor turns off. For your specific case, you'll want to tweak the auto off timer for 'Playback/Menus'. Hope that helps and happy shooting! :)
  • To answer your second question, you can turn the display on/off by pressing the "Info" button next to your exposure compensation button. This is actually probably a better alternative to adjusting the timeouts, as it will save you battery life once you learn the ins and outs of the display.
  • @timthetortoise - Great thought...thanks for sharing! :)