Video cuts off

edited May 2015 Posted in » Canon T5i / 700D Forum
I'm using this camera to film lectures, but at least once during the lecture (usually about 35-40 minutes in), the video shuts off and needs to be restarted. Is there a fix for this?

I know it automatically breaks longer clips into shorter ones, but those are easily pieced back together. The problem is that if I don't notice the video cutting off, I can lose a few minutes of the talk. Even if I'm watching for it, it'll cut someone off mid-sentence and require an extra edit (and often a cranky speaker for a sentence or two being removed).

Comments

• edited May 2015
    Hi
    Your camera will cut video after a maximum of 29 minutes and 59 seconds has been reached. If you have got 35-40 minutes count yourself lucky because this restriction is applied by manufacturers to all popular DSLRs, not just Canon. The reason seems to be that if video capability extends beyond 30 minutes then the cameras can be classed as a video camera and this affects their taxation class. How true this is, I don't know, but it is the only explanation I have ever come across.
    Another reason video is cut off is because if a file reaches 4 gigabytes in size there's a restriction caused by the camera's file system (again, applies to other makes).
    By the way, both of these pieces of information are clearly laid out in your camera's manual.
    PBked