Downloading Pictures and Videos to my Computer

edited April 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I just got my D3100. I'm not sure how to download pictures to my laptop or what software I should use for editing. I want to be able to edit video also.

Comments

• Howdy @Berrygirl - You can connect your D3100 directly to your laptop using a USB cable or you can plug a memory card reader into your laptop and insert your memory card. Some computers require the included ViewNX 2 software to recognize the D3100.

As for editing programs, Picasa is a super simple (and free) editing tool that's great for beginners who just want to do simple edits. If you're on a Mac, iPhoto is also fantastic. The next step up from these basic editing tools would be Adobe Lightroom (see here), which includes more advance editing controls.

As for video, Microsoft Movie Maker (PC) and iMovie (Mac) are the easiest editing programs. If you're competing in film festivals or you need more advanced editing tools, then Adobe Premier would be the way to go.

Hope that helps and happy shooting! :)
  • edited April 2013
    So if I want to use Picasa for photos and Microsoft Movie Maker for video how do I upload them using a card reader?
  • edited April 2013
    You don't even need to download Picasa, just use Microsoft Picture Manager that comes with Office. I also recommend View NX2 that comes with your camera, especially if you shoot in RAW. It has some good features. You might want to change your video to a more friendly format after editing in NX2 to add to Microsoft Movie Maker by downloading Converterlite to change from Quicktime to .wmv or DVD.

I would recommend using the USB lead everytime to download your pictures as this reduces the chance of damaging the memory card or the small flap on the camera as it is very flimsy.

Don't forget to reformat your memory card in your camera once you are happy with the download. This wipes clean the memory card as opposed to just deleting the images.