Settings/Modes for outdoor soccer

edited February 2015 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
What modes/settings should I use other than Sports Mode to shoot day/night high school soccer? I have a Canon T2i 550D + Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. Are there cheat cards that can be purchased specifically for this body/lens combination for soccer?
Thank you for any suggestions!
The Mammarazzi

Comments

• Hey @jamamma2 - You have the right lens for capturing action in all lighting situations, so that's a great start. With regards to settings, I would probably shoot in Shutter Priority (Tv), set the shutter speed to 1/1000, set the ISO to Auto, set the AF mode to AI servo and the drive mode to continuous. With these settings in place, half press the shutter button to continuously focus and then fully press to fire off a burst of images in quick succession. If you notice subject blur, up the shutter speed to 1/1500. If you're photographing at night, try to keep the shutter speed as low as possible without running into subject blur. This will keep the ISO down and give you less image noise.

At the moment, I don't have any cheat cards for this particular combo, but I do have the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 on my to do list which will also be compatible with your Sigma. If you'd like I can let you know once it's available. All the best!
  • edited February 2015
    Thank you so much for your quick response! Can't wait to try these tips!
    And, yes, please put me on the cheat card notification for this combo!