Keeping the flash on while shooting a close up?

edited March 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I have a Nikon D3100 with the basic 18-55mm AF-S Nikkor lens and I use a Macintosh iMac 27" computer. I mainly take pictures of products I make for my Etsy page: soaps, lotions, soy candles, etc...

I'm trying to figure out how to get my photos bright with a stark white background. Just discovered Photo Fuze which works well, but is time consuming. I'm shooting in a light box with a white background and trying to achieve this sort of look (see here.

I realize that any photo I take probably involves some tweaking to get this look as I usually use iPhoto (slowly learning Photoshop Elements 8). Just wondering what would be the best setting on my Nikon to use to get a bright photo. Is there a setting that keeps the flash on? I've only had my camera for a few months and this is my first DSLR and I'm still learning how it all works.

Comments

• Howdy @twoblooms - Honestly, I wouldn't use the built-in flash. All you'll end up with is blown out highlights and overexposed product shots. To get a softer, more natural looking bright light, I would look at modifying your current lightbox.

Your lightbox should be bright enough to illuminate your subject and eliminate the need to use the built-in flash. If it's not bright enough, then you'll need more light. You can go down to your local hardware store and buy utility bowl lights between $8 and $12. Couple these with energy saver daylight bulbs and you'll be able to emit more light into your lightbox.

In addition to all of that, make sure you set a custom white balance before you shoot. This will get rid of any color casts and ensure you end up with a bright white background.

Your 18-55mm is fine for capturing the image, however, I would strongly consider looking at the Nikon 35mm f/1.8. This lens will immediately add some drama to your product shots, allowing you to focus in on fine details and blurring everything else into oblivion.

Hope that all makes sense. Happy shooting! :)
  • edited March 2012
    @Moose - Thanks, yes that all makes sense. My white balance was on Auto, would you recommend Incandescent, Flourescent or Direct sunlight. Think I'll try those and see what I like. I know ultimately I should get a macro lens, but want to get the feel of the camera and learn as much as I can how to use different functions before getting another lens. Will keep the one you suggest in mind.

My lighbox is the Optex mini tent and lighting kit. I was using the white background, but its more of a grey white so I've switched it out with one I made out of white vinyl type of material. Seems that Etsy likes the all white stark background so slowly trying to get all my photos to look like this.

• @twoblooms - I would actually set the white balance to 'Preset Manual'. This will allow you to measure the white backdrop to get spot on accurate colors.
  • edited April 2012
    @Moose - Thanks, just noticed that one the other day as I didn't like any of the other ones. I haven't used it yet, but will try it.

I have no idea how to use those white balance settings yet to get it white looking so have just been shooting my photos and editing in the ViewNX 2 software to get the white really white.

Do I have to adjust anything with the preset manual white balance?
  • @twoblooms - Just follow the steps on page 90 of the D3100 manual. Setting a custom white balance is pretty straight forward. You'll probably still have to bump up the white point a bit in post-processing to completely knock out the background, but at least your colors will be accurate. Happy shooting! :)
  • Moose,

Thanks, I've now been using Capture NX 2 and using the white control point to get the perfect look I'm after.
  • edited August 2013
    The process you are trying to achieve is fairly simple. Most photography lessons teach you not to blow out the highlights (overexpose parts of the photo). In your example it's the reverse; you need to blow out the background. In a studio white paper rolls or white painted walls are overexposed with flash or studio lights, and the camera is set to correctly expose the subject material. It requires a light source and a lamp with daylight (around 5700K) globes. Most supermarkets and hardware stores provide these at inexpensive prices. Place the lamp to shine directly on the background and behind your subject. It requires an even coverage to ensure the area behind your subject is all white in the final picture. Place your subject a short distance away from the background and adjust your camera to expose for the item you are photographing. Improved results can be achieved by including a second lamp of the same kind set to light the subject from the front and at an angle that complements the overall lighting appearance (maybe over your shoulder or just in front and to the side of your lens). After you have experimented and moved your lamps around, try a couple of lens aperture and focal distance settings, and you will be shooting like a pro. You will need zero post processing with this method.
  • If you have enough light doing what is suggested above, you can shut off the flash so it doesn't interfere with what you're trying to do.