Connector

edited August 2014 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
I bought this 2.2x Telephoto lens for Nikon D3000, D3100, D3200, D3300, D5000, D5100, D7000 and where do I find the connector or what is it that I need to attach it to my lens? Thanks.

Comments

• edited August 2014
    You need to be more specific about what you have bought. If it is an accessory lens that is made to attach to your regular lens, it will usually either slip on over the outside end of it, or thread into the front.

I am guessing that this is a thread-on accessory, which should screw to the outside end of your lens, if you have the correct thread (52 mm is standard).
  • edited August 2014
    I have a Nikon D5100 with a AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm 1:4-5:6G lens and another same thing just 18-55mm. I bought a Vivitar 2.2x Professional Telephot Lens 58mm and it says I may need a adapter ring or a adapter tube to make it fit my lens! Will that work, and if so what kind of ring or tube do I need to buy? Thank you so much!
  • edited August 2014
    Ok, if the converter is 58 millimeter, you need a "step-up" adapter ring, the same as you would use for a filter to attach it to your 18-55mm lens. If I am reading the specs right, your 55-200mm lens also has a 52 mm thread, so the same adapter would work on it.

Make sure it's a step up not down, as both are available. You want a male thread of 55 mm, and a female thread of 58mm.

You can do a google search for "52 to 58 mm step up ring" and you should find them easily. B&H offers a generic "Sensei" branded one for about 5 bucks, and I'm pretty sure it ships free. They are very prompt and their free shipping will probably arrive in under a week. A plain generic aluminum one should be fine. You don't need the fancy brass "pro" model.

How this all works remains to be seen. I have not tried one of these, so cannot judge, but your 200mm tele zoom gives a pretty nice image, so you'll have to experiment to see if the boost of the adapter beats cropping. Depending on the quality of the accessory, you may find that it's acceptably sharp in the center, but not as good at the edges. How much that influences your use will depend on whether you're shooting skyscrapers on the horizon (better be sharp all the way across) or a leopard in a tree (you're not after the branches of the tree).

• edited August 2014
    Thank you, thank you!!!