Manual settings for newbies

edited March 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hi, great forum. I am totally green here, but I am keen to learn to work with manual settings for ISO, aperture and shutter speed etc. I have read the manual, some magazines and a book on the Nikon D3100 'From snapshots to great shots'. I am just itching to use manual rather than auto-mode, but really am at sea in terms of actually understanding how it all works and even where to begin with experimenting with it all in any meaningful way.

Is there an idiot proof guide? I am no doubt just being impatient and need to give myself more time and reread all the stuff again etc..., but any help/tips/pointers will be greatly appreciated! Thanks - JP :)

Comments

• Lol just found the Nikon D3100 toolkit for dummies app-it is brilliant and was able to clarify for me the basics in an easy to access way! : )
  • Howdy @JohnPaulPatton - I haven't played with the Nikon D3100 toolkit for dummies, but I've heard good things. I'm in the process of creating a couple guides (app and printable version) that will give you a glimpse at some of the settings I use on a daily basis. It's been a busy year, my wife and I had our first child back in July, so everything got pushed back and buried under diapers. :)

I hope to get the guides released sometime this year. Until then, if there a particular shooting scenario you'd like to experiment with, I'd be glad to give you a starting point in terms of settings. Happy shooting! :)
  • Great thanks and congrats on the child! : )

I at least know now how to work the manual controls so will just spend a bit of time playing around with different settings in different contexts and see how it goes! ; )

Cheers!
  • edited March 2012
    @JohnPaulPatton - The best thing you can do is to just get out and take pictures. Take a small notebook and keep track of your settings during different situations. I see that you have read several items on the subject, so I am going to cover a few things, put into words that helped me get my head wrapped around the topic at hand.

Aperture: Think of water flowing thru a valve. The more you open the valve (lower F/number) the more water comes out (light coming into the camera). Then in the other direction the more you close the valve (higher F/number) the less water comes out (light coming into the camera). When you're in bright light (outdoor setting), then your camera (in AUTO mode) would set a high aperture to limit the light coming into the lens to prevent washing out the photo. Indoors the camera would open the aperture (lower F/number) to let in the available light. In manual mode you'll be able to adjust this yourself.

Shutter Speed: I think Moose said it this way once. Think of shutter speed like your eye lids. If you blink fast (fast shutter speeds) you only see a fraction in time (sports, fast action, etc...). If you blink slowly (slow shutter speeds), you are able to see subject movement (flowing water, light trails, etc...).

ISO: Think of 35mm film. Lower numbers = slower films = need more light = longer exposures. Higher numbers = faster films = need less light = shorter exposures. I read this site (photonhead.com) and it helped me grasp ISO.

The more time you spend shooting with these fundamentals in mind, things should eventually get a lot clearer. I hope this helps and I wish you the best. - Auston
  • edited March 2012
    Thanks Auston-I have been coming on leaps and bounds! :) I have combined using the settings in the app guide and also just looking at what auto mode does and then have used this as a guide for toying around with my own variations. Though I do look forward to the Moose app! I even got some great slow water shots of a local waterfall and was able to just play around over 20-30 shots with various levels of exposure. I also generally find that using manual focus on the lens works much better for me than autofocus - naturally enough, since I know what I want to focus on! lol! Loving it! :)
  • edited January 2013
    JohnPaul,
    That is how I learned. Read the books and keep making changes to a setting on one view, then you get a feel for the camera. Don't be afraid to try, which it seems you are not. In the past month I have had a go at the silken water shot by slowing the shutter down to one second in hand held mode. I then bought a tripod and had a longer exposure at 20-30 seconds with a small aperture and ISO for light trails at night in the street. It was great fun. It is surprising how long a second is when holding the camera, and thirty seconds plus download time seems like forever. I advise setting white balance to auto, but use manual focus as cars are passing (lighting in the shot will vary).
    Borrow some books on exposure and try some of the projects often advised.
    Great website Moose.