Shooting from a sea float plane in Alaska

edited January 2014 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Hi Moose, I will be going on a cruise in Alaska in May and will be taking an excursion in a sea float plane over some glacier fields. I would like to know what settings I should use and which lens to use? I have the 18-55mm kit lens and a 70-300mm f/4 -5.6 IS USM lens.
Thank you, Rick

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Hi Rick,
    I am always intrigued by the wondrous variety of locations that people write in to this forum about. I would suggest for landscape views the 18-55mm kit lens. IS would not benefit you on rough terrain and ice and snow is not as smooth as it looks. You need to use shutter priority fast enough to get in-focus shots. You might want to consider a filter to take some of the brightness of the snow away and/or dial in a negative exposure compensation value. Alternatively, if you are confident with using the histogram, take a couple of test shots and adjust your exposure accordingly. It may be worth using a lens hood if you have one to counter any stray flare, especially if it is sunny on the day of your trip (reflections from snow particles can come from anywhere in your view).
    One last idea is to create a custom white balance using the snow as your reference point as snow can often look a little grey when using the presets.
    Good luck and enjoy your experience.
    Best regards, PBked