Indoor cheer competitions

edited January 2014 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
I have the Nikon D5100 with the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens. I was pretty happy with the photos I took at the last competition, but I still have photos with some blurring. The competitions are indoors with poor lighting. For the most part we are able to get pretty close. What can I do to make my photos less blurry using what I already have? Any suggestions for a new lens? Thank you.

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Hi,
    My suggestion is to invest in a mono/tripod which is a lot cheaper than a new lens.
    Regards, PBked
  • edited May 2014
    I don’t think that a monopod or tripod is going to help in the situation described. It would help if you were shooting a stationary object in low light. Since then, you can just stabilize the camera and use a slow shutter speed while keeping a low ISO.
    But since you’re shooting action shots in low light, you’re going to need to use a fast shutter speed like 1/1000 sec, and stabilizing the camera won’t help at all.
    Only option with the 55-200mm is to jack up the ISO in order to use the fast shutter speeds. You’ll likely be pushing ISO 6400 and above.
    If you want to use lower ISO's at the same fast shutter speeds, you’ll need a faster lens like the 70-200mm f/2.8