Nikon 35mm & 50mm f/1.8G Lenses

edited December 2013 Posted in » Nikon Lens Talk
I got a new D3200 this Christmas and have been shooting family/pets with it non stop ever since! I got a great deal at an after Christmas sale, but I couldn't decide whether I wanted to use 35mm or 50mm as an intro to the world of prime lenses, so I ordered both since they were on a great sale and I didn't want to make a rushed decision. I figured I could take a look at them, try them out, and return one to the store (which has a great return policy). I've been trying them out around the house and absolutely adore both of them. Do you think it's silly to keep both as a beginner? I loved the way my pictures were turning out with the 50mm lens, but I also could see how the 35mm would be more practical in many situations like when traveling or taking pictures of groups of people. What do you think?
Thanks in advance for the advice!

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Hi Aria.
    I have the 35mm f/1.8G and it is a great lens. With my old Olympus 35mm film SLR cameras I have both these focal lengths and used them quite often, so having both can be a good thing. When my budget allows, I will go for a 50mm as well.

On the D3200, as with the other Nikon DX cameras, the 35mm focal length is approximately equal to a 50mm lens on a full frame DSLR, and the 50mm is similar to 75mm. This crop factor makes both lenses good for portraits.