Landscape lens and filters for my T2i

edited March 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a landscape lens for my Canon T2i. I am thinking of purchasing the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, but was wondering if anybody had any other recommendations. Also, does anybody have any filter recommendations for landscape photography?

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Howdy @davidmsilver - If you're just getting started with landscape photography, the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 is a fantastic choice. The 10-20mm zoom range will really open things up for you, especially when compared to the kit lens. You wouldn't think there's a big difference between 10mm and 18mm, but there definitely is.

The only other entry level landscape lens you might want to consider is the Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 (see here). It has a slightly better maximum aperture range, giving slightly faster shutter speeds at lower ISO's when hand holding the T2i at sunrise or sunset. It also has a slightly longer reach (24mm vs 20mm) which gives you a bit more flexibility when framing shots.

As for filters, I would look at getting a circular polarizer and a neutral density filter (both the Tamron and Sigma wide-angle lenses accept 77mm filters).

A circular polarizer will give you more saturation, reduced glare when shooting water, deeper blue skies and more cloud detail. I like the Hoya Pro 1 circular polarizer (see here). This filter has an extra low profile to minimize the effects of vignetting on wide-angle lenses.

A neutral density filter will give you the ability to capture water movement, like waterfalls and silky lakes/oceans. I like the Hoya Pro 1 neutral density filter (see here). The specific one I linked to will cut about 4 stops of light, giving you the ability to achieve slow shutter speeds in bright light.

That should get you going in the right direction. Happy shooting! :)
  • Thanks for all the advice! Would you recommend the Canon EF-S 10-22mm over the Sigma? I know its more expensive but is the price difference worth it? I have found some used for around $650 so I wouldn't be paying full retail price.
  • @davidmsilver - The Canon 10-22mm would give you "slightly" sharper images and faster focusing, however, if you're budget is maxed out at $650 you'd be better off with the Tamron or Sigma and a couple specialized filters (polarizer and neutral density)...especially for landscape photography. Just my two cents. Happy shooting! :)
  • Hello! I purchased a Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 lens for my Canon T2i and I was wondering what settings you use? Or any other advice? Thanks in advance!