Noise & Darkness

edited October 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I have been using my cheats, trying to learn how to use my camera, and none of my photos look decent; especially the group photos cheat card settings. I took a photo in daylight at 4PM and it looked like night time. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong? All of my photos look terrible and like they have a lot of noise. The only time my photos look good are when I do an up close portrait shot my dogs. Anything that isn't close up looks bad. I am using the kit lens. Are these cheats meant for a different lens?

Comments

• edited October 2013
    I also noticed that in the menu when I put in my ISO settings there is a max sensitivity and then above it is another number you can enter for ISO. Would I need to change both of those to the same number? If you look in the info menu, I don't believe you have that other number to worry about. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it at all.
  • edited October 2013
    Your pictures seem to be underexposed. When shooting in PASM mode, set "AutoISO sensitivity" ON, max sensitivity 1600 and minimum shutter speed 1/30. I recommend to set ISO manually in PASM mode ("AutoISO sensitivity" to OFF). For dark afternoon 400 or 800 could be OK. You can try full auto mode, and if pictures are still underexposed then there might be some issue with your camera.
  • edited October 2013
    I originally had it set to auto and max as 3200 I believe. Dial was set on "A" and the photo came out with 100 ISO. I read that some are having to set it manually so I will try that also. Thanks!
  • edited October 2013
    Hey @jsheedick - It's possible you many not have all the settings correctly dialed in. If you can send me an example (email to support @ cameratips.com) or post somewhere online (flickr, facebook, google+) and provide a link. I'd be happy to take a look at the image and it's metadata to see what's going on. All the best!