Sigma or Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 for the Nikon D3100

edited October 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I am a proud owner of 35mm f/1.8 & 18-55mm kit lens, but normally I use the 35mm f/1.8 for street or portrait photography. I want to get a good zoom lens with low aperture (70-200mm f/2.8).

Can the more experienced guys on here help me in selecting between Sigma or Tamron for the same specs (Nikon is too costly for me)?

Is there another lens besides these that you would suggest? Main purpose for shooting is bird/wildlife along with a bit of street/landscape photography. I think the 35mm f/1.8 good for portraits so I don't have to worry about that.

Cheers, Mudit

Comments

• Hey @mudit - I own both Tamron and Sigma lenses. When it comes to the 70-200mm lens, I'd slightly lean towards the Sigma, however, the difference between the two is like splitting hairs.

Both lenses don't focus nearly as fast as the Nikon version, but they're acceptable in most situations. Sharpness is quite good across the range, with Nikon producing a slightly better end result.

You really can't go wrong either way. Id go for the one that fits with your budget. All the best!