Humidity concerns for the Nikon D5100

edited October 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
Hi, I am traveling to Malaysia and I'm new to photography. It is going to be very humid and I am worried how this will affect my camera. Can anyone suggest anything I should take or be aware of as I do not want to damage my camera. Someone has suggested taking lots of the silicon sachets and putting a couple in my camera bag each day.

Thanks

Comments

• edited October 2013
    @Robinson - First, check your manual for the humidity range for your camera (it will be in the specs section) and compare it with the average for where you are going.

Second, silicon sachets are a good idea. No need to put fresh ones in every day, just keep the ones you've got in your bag at all times.

Third, give your camera and lens plenty of time to acclimatize when going from a cooler area such as an air conditioned hotel room to the outside and vice versa.

Fourth, don't be tempted to wipe any moisture off your lens and start shooting, because there may be moisture on your sensor still. Wait for it to evaporate naturally.

If you are at all unsure, buy a point and shoot and leave your expensive kit at home. The same rules as above will still apply.
    Regards, PBked
  • @Robinson - I agree with everything @PBked said. Sound advice for those heading to humid climates.