Nikon 85mm f/1.8g or the Tamron 28-70mm f/2.8 for Wedding Photography

edited August 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I have been asked to be a second shooter at a wedding in September, so I am looking into buying a new affordable and fast lens. The main photographer and I both are amateurs and are doing this for a friend on a budget. I am trying to decide between the Nikon 85mm f/1.8g or the Tamron 28-70mm f/2.8. I currently have the 18-55mm kit lens, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 55-200mm and Nikon 55-300mm (needed more zoom for kids sports). The wedding ceremony will be held outside and the reception inside. My gut tells me to get the 85mm just because of the rave reviews and because of the great results I have had with my 50mm prime. However, I feel the 28-70mm zoom may be more beneficial at the reception but I'm worried about picture quality and if it will produce nice bokeh. I also want to take into consideration which one will benefit me most after the wedding, for portraits. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Melissa

Comments

• edited August 2013
    I agree with your thoughts about the 28-70mm. Although the 85mm is faster, the Tamron is wider and also has the ability to zoom in for candid close-ups. Of course your kit lens is wider still at 18mm.
    Just a personal thought, but your 55-200mm seems to be a little superfluous in your line-up. If it was me, I would sell the 55-200mm to help offset the cost of the 28-70mm.
    Best regards, PBked
  • edited August 2013
    Thanks so much for your input. I have been considering selling my 18-55mm as well as my 55-200mm. If I get the 28-75mm I will have most of the range covered since I have the 55-300mm as well. I never use the kit lens. Still thinking it over, but leaning more towards the 28-75mm now. Thanks again!