ISO for Outdoor Portraits

edited August 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I will be taking my husband's portrait outside at a local park this weekend and need direction on the my ISO. Should I set it lower (like 400) or leave it on Auto?

I will be using the 18-55mm lens. This is my only my second attempt at actually capturing a subject, so the tension level is extremely high. I was reading another post and saw where the subjects were outside and the advisement on the aperture was f/5.6, 'A' mode, set the ISO to Auto and enable single point AF. Is this correct for what I'm trying to accomplish?

Comments

• Howdy @nwalk1 - If you're taking portraits, then shoot in Aperture priority (A on the mode dial), zoom out to 55mm on your lens, set the aperture f-number to f/5.6, set the ISO to Auto, set the metering to center weighted, set the focus mode to AF-S and the AF Area Mode to Single Point AF.

Until you get a better grasp on how ISO affects the exposure, stick with Auto ISO. Happy shooting! :)
  • edited October 2013
    Would a portrait of one person be the same as two people? Any settings need to be changed?
  • @jsheedick - If the couple are close together, then yes you can use the same portrait settings.