Settings to Get the Most Zoom Possible on a Nikon 55-300mm

edited July 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
My wife and I are new to SLR cameras and just purchased the D3100 with the 55-300mm VR lens. Previously, we had a point and shoot Panasonic zoom camera (I believe its a Z-7). Even with the 55-300mm, turning the lens zoom does not seem to generate a ton of zoom even at the 300mm level. Is this normal, or do we need to adjust some setting on the camera as well to generate a longer range room? If so, what setting(s)

Thanks, Robert

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Hi Robert,

When I got my D3100 I had the same feeling.

It doesn't have any hidden settings to generate a longer range zoom, it's purely physical.

Longer lenses are pretty expensive and some people recommend super zoom cameras with a fixed lens in order to be cheaper.

There aren't just downsides to it not being as long as you thought it was. The more you zoom, the more stable you'll need to be. 300mm+ lens will mostly be able to take good pictures when you're in great light or using a tripod. It's really easy to cause trepidation on the camera when you're too zoomed.

I recommend you to look at some perks of having telephoto lens and learn how many great things you can do with it (bokeh, wildlife, compress distances and get in the action closer to the subject).

Although is not super zoom, it is super sharp if you learn how to handle it!

Hope it helps!

Thanks,
    Felipe
  • edited September 2013
    For super zoom I just use a Nikon P-510. It has a great built in zoom at 1000mm and takes great pictures, plus it's cheaper than some of those super zoom lenses.
  • Howdy @robertnicholas - As @feliporpeta and @sbaker63, it gets quite costly to purchase a lens for your D3100 that can zoom beyond 300mm.

In this particular instance, you might be better all with a compact super zoom. I believe the latest offerings from Nikon and Canon can zoom between 800 and 1000mm. It would be a tall task to replicate that kind of reach with your D3100. All the best!