Cheat Cards for Nikon D3100 and Different Lenses

edited July 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hi Moose. I bought my D3100 15 months ago and joined your forum and asked a couple of questions. I have the kit lens and a 50mm f/1.8 G lens which I love for the creamy background, however I mostly use it on auto and find the kit lens better for outdoors. I have been reading up on the 85mm f/1.8g lens and I'm seriously thinking about getting this lens for portraits and outside use therefore the kit lens will be hardly used. Do have you any plans to do cheat cards which include these lenses as I also would like to purchase the cheat cards. I saw that you say somewhere that Nikon updated the D3100. What were the upgrades? I don't know if my camera was the upgraded version. Thank you.

Comments

• @balmcake - Yes, I'm finishing up a pack for the D3100 and 50mm f/1.8G lens combo. It should be out in the next few weeks.

As for the 85mm f/1.8G, it's a fantastic portrait lens. At the moment, I don't have any plans to create one specifically for this lens, however, the 50mm f/1.8G pack can be easily adapted for the 85mm. The settings will largely be identical, with only the focal length (50mm versus 85mm) being the only difference.

As for the D3100 firmware update, you can see all the modifications and installation instructions on Nikon's official site here.

All the best and happy shooting! :)
  • edited July 2013
    I checked my camera and it has the latest firmware already installed. Thanks for that info. As you are creating the new cards I will hang on and keep checking your site as I would love to purchase the new cards as soon as they become available. Did you ever use the 85mm f/1.8G lens and what is your review on it? I would love to hear what you think and I'm sure your fans and followers would like your opinon too.
    Thank you again :-)
  • edited July 2013
    Hi moose. Are there any add-ons to the existing users who purchased the cheat cards with kit lens for the 50mm cheat cards?
  • Howdy @nigel - I'm trying to work out some sort of deal so that people who have purchased a set, can get future packs at a discount. It really depends on how easily I can implement the discount at checkout. Will keep you updated. Hope you're enjoying the cheat cards and happy shooting! :)
  • edited July 2013
    @balmcake - Yep, the 85mm f/1.8G is one of my favorite lenses for outdoor portraits. It's got that perfect blend of a buttery smooth maximum f/1.8 aperture and a longer focal length which is great for getting natural smiles and candid shots.

People naturally feel a little uncomfortable if you're right in their face with the camera, this lens allows you to shoot from a good distance giving you much more natural expressions.

I'm also working on a visual guide for the 85mm f/1.8G, similar to my 50mm f/1.8G and 35mm f/1.8G guides. It should be out real soon.

All the best and happy shooting! :)
  • edited October 2013
    Hi @Moose, thank you for that info.

The 85mm sounds like an excellent lens to replace the kit lens. I like taking pictures of my grandchildren (my granddaughter isn't always responsive when it comes to having her picture taken) and scenery, and this lens sounds like a good all around lens.

As soon as the cards are ready I will be purchasing a set as sometimes you only have one chance of getting that right shot. Thanks again!
  • edited October 2013
    Hi Moose. I got a D3100 recently with the standard kit lens. I am shooting in Aperture priority mode to make my subject focused and everything else in the picture blurred, but most of the time I do not know why my subject is always blurry and not focused.

I tried variation in picture quality (ie changing from standard to vivid), but still got that unfocused subject in both manual and auto focus modes. Also, the picture quality that is expected from DSLR is not satisfactory that a Nikon D3100 must have to provide.

Please guide me with improvements and changes in settings to improve picture quality and help my focus related issue.

Thanks!
  • I have the same issues! I have to take lots of photos to make sure I end up getting my subject in focus. I have problems with noise too if I'm shooting non-portraits.
  • Howdy @azee7 and @jsheedick - In order to get your subject in sharp focus, you need to have a fast enough shutter speed along with the right focus mode.

If your shutter speed is too slow, you'll get subject blur. If your focus mode isn't right for the situation, the camera may focus on something else.

In order to better assist, feel free to post some photos online (flickr, facebook, google+) and then link to them. I'd be happy to take a look and point you in the right direction. All the best!