Best Lens and Settings for a Wedding

edited June 2013 Posted in » Canon Lens Talk
I have been asked to take some "getting ready" pictures before a wedding and also some shots of couples at the reception but I'm not sure which lens would be best to use. I own a Canon 60D and these lenses: 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 70-200mm 4L, 50mm f/1.8 and 16-35mm f/2.8. Also, any suggestions on what settings to use would be helpful.

Comments

• edited June 2013
    Hi,
    Your 50mm f/1.8 would be great for indoor shots, but the 16-35mm has a wider angle of view, so either lens would do. For best results, try to use natural light rather than flash. If you have to use flash and it is the built in one, try draping a couple of white tissues over it first. If you have an external flash and it can be angled use the bounce method.
    If you have an assistant when using natural light, get them to hold a pillowcase just out of camera shot which will throw light from the window back onto the subject's face and help eliminate shadows.
    You might want to consider a custom white balance (detailed in your manual), which you can create before your shoot.
    You could try using Portrait mode, but be aware that the camera will fire continuously while your finger is on the button.
    For general settings, take a few shots in the various locations using full Auto or P mode. Review the image information to give you some idea of settings and then you can choose to use manual or a programmed mode like AV. Whichever you choose, leave ISO set to Auto.
    You could also use exposure bracketing, which is also detailed in your manual.
    As always it is impossible to say "set the camera like this", because things depend upon the type of lighting, the strength of lighting, the time of day and the surroundings, but I hope my suggestions above have given you something to think about.
    Regards, PBked