Lens for a Wedding

ejlejl
edited May 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
I have a Nikon 35mm f/1.8 and I'm doing a wedding in July. I was wondering if this lens would be adequate enough for a wedding or should I use the Tamron AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD IF?

Comments

• Are you the primary photographer?

Bring both!
  • ejlejl
    edited May 2013
    Yes I am.
  • edited June 2013
    I don't have too much experience, but I read a lot. A long zoom lens like AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD IF will allow you to take amazing shots with blured background and not disturb your subject. If you take portrait photos, then a 35mm lens will give beautiful sharp snaps. Which lenses do you currently own?
  • ejlejl
    edited June 2013
    I have the 70-200mm, 50mm and 35mm.
  • edited October 2013
    I just did a wedding last weekend and I took both camera bodies (Nikon D50 with Tamron 18-200mm and Nikon D5100 with 18-55mm). My wife helped out and was using the D50 for the long shots and I was doing all the close shots. Worked out well doing it this way.
    With your setup I would bring all three lenses, unless you are pressed for time at the wedding. You will be changing lenses all the time and with that you may miss several shots. With only one camera body, the way I would handle this would be to use the zoom lens for most of the wedding (ceremony & reception), then for portraits (before ceremony with bride & portraits between ceremony and reception) I would switch between 35mm and 50mm lenses. Nice thing about the zoom lens is you won't be moving around as much and can focus on what is going on to get the nice shots. When working the portraits you will be able to get close to the subject, and using the prime lenses you will get very nice photos.
    If you have time and money, look at craigslist for another camera body. The time you save by not switching lenses is invaluable.