35mm and 50mm Lens With Auto Focus for the D3100

edited April 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I'm new here, and new to DSLR photography, having upgraded from a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38 to the Nikon D3100 at Christmas.

My husband has bought me a 50mm lens as a birthday present, but didn't realize that it doesn't have an auto focus capability with this camera. I've since found the AF-S version which does auto focus, but that says it will actually operate at 75mm with a DX model camera.

I am getting really confused and would love some advice on what lenses will work well for me with the D3100. I have a limited budget (£150) so may need to accept that I'm going to have to save up rather than buy now. I want as sharp and fast a lens as possible, as I have 2 small boys who don't stay still. I would also like something that gives good bokeh.

What would you recommend? What else do I need to think about?

Comments

• edited April 2013
    I have both the 35mm and 50mm f/1.8G that I use. They are both fast lenses and work well in low light.
  • Howdy @smarties - The AF-S 35mm f/1.8G is definitely the way to go, especially if your trying to capture young kids indoors or in small spaces.

When mounted to your D3100, you'll have an equivalent focal length of 52mm which is very similar to what the human eye sees. To test out that particular length, just zoom your kit lens to 35mm and what around the house shooting things. It'll give you a good idea of what you can frame.

Check out my visual guide for the 35mm f/1.8G which explains everything you may be wondering about this lens (bokeh, sharpness, etc...). Happy shooting!
  • edited May 2013
    If you are shooting in really good light you would be surprised how good the kit lens is for photographing a wide range of subjects, including children. You might consider the SB-400 flash ($129 new or about $100 used/refurbished) for fill flash to do away with ugly shadows.