Teleconverter for Nikkor AF-S 55-300mm

edited April 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I am into wildlife photography with a special emphasis on waterfowl. I am currently using a 55-300mm lens, but I still have trouble getting close enough at times. I can't afford a larger super telephoto at this time so I have been looking at my options in teleconverters. From what I have seen, none of the Nikon teleconverters work with my lens and only work on the high dollar lenses that have the low f stops. Anyone have any idea if there is a teleconverter that would work with my lens? What are your opinions on magnifier lenses that mount to the end of the lens (cheaters)?

I appreciate any info I can get!

Comments

• Howdy @icefishr - You're correct about the Nikon teleconverters not being compatible with the 55-300mm VR. Unfortunately, there's not a cheap solution for what you're trying to capture.

To do it right, you would need to upgrade your 55-300mm to the 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 or a 70-200mm f/2.8 + teleconverter combo to get a focal length beyond 300mm.

If you're really into birding and don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a huge/heavy/expensive lens, then you might look into a compact superzoom camera like the Nikon P520 which can zoom all the way to 1000mm...roughly three times the zoom power of your 55-300mm.

I don't recommend a magnifying lens that attaches to the front of your 55-300mm which adds extra weight to the end of the lens when fully zoomed. You can easily ruin the focusing mechanism on your D3100.

Hope that gives you some options...all the best! :)
  • edited April 2013
    Thanks @Moose! I will look into those other options and may just have to save up for a while for the better lens or combo.

I appreciate the info!