Lens Terminology and Understanding

edited April 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hi All,

I'm pretty new to the forum and DSLR photography and I'm having a hard time understanding lenses. I have an 18-55mm lens, but I have no idea what that means. I'm trying to gain a better understanding of the terminology and how different lenses work. I would greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction or any info members have to offer.
Thank you!

Comments

• edited April 2013
    18 millimeters is the farthest zoomed out your lens will go and 55 millimeters is the farthest zoomed in it will go. So it is an 18mm - 55mm lens. Not to confuse you, but since you have what it called a crop sensor you actually multiply those by 1.5, but don't worry about that right now.

Have you been on Nikon's website where they have a lens simulator? Being able to select certain ranges on a scale may help you visualize what that means.

There are more numbers on your lens that have to do with the lens' aperture, so if you have questions about those go ahead and ask. Let us know where you're at and if that made any sense!
  • edited April 2013
    Howdy @NikonNewb10 - All those numbers can be confusing, especially for a beginner.

There are two primary sets of numbers on every lens, the focal length (represented by mm) and the maximum aperture (represented by a f/number).

The focal length is how much of the scene, from wide landscapes to distant subjects, will be visible within the frame of the photo. Check out the Nikon Lens Simulator (here) to simulate focal length.

The maximum aperture is the lowest available aperture f-number the lens is capable of. It determines low light performance and the amount of blur (depth of field) that can be captured. Check out the Camera Simulator (here) to simulate aperture.

Hope that helps and happy shooting! :)