UV Lens Filter

edited April 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hi @Moose - I want to know if you think it's necessary to get a UV protection filter for my 50mm lens? Thanks!

Comments

• edited April 2013
    I'll throw in my two cents. A UV filter isn't necessary per se, but I think a filter for protecting your lens is necessary. A UV filter will take out some of the blue from outdoor shots by using natural light, but consider the investment of your lens and the fact that filter is protecting it from scratches and moisture.
  • edited April 2013
    Howdy @FashionL - I'm not a big fan of UV filters. I only use them when I'm shooting motocross (flying dust particles and rocks) or taking shots near the beach (salty spray and water). The front glass element is actually quite resilient to finger smudges and general use.

Every week or so, I'll use a good blower to loosen dust particles, a lens brush to wipe away the stubborn ones and some optical wipes to get rid of any finger smudges. You can see all three cleaning recommendations here.

All the best and happy shooting! :)
  • edited April 2013
    @GerardH - So it is a good idea to get the filter? You say it will take out some of the blue from outdoor shots; is that a good or bad thing?
  • edited April 2013
    @Moose - Got it! Thank you!
  • @FashionL - Of course, glad to help!
  • edited April 2013
    I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy. There are a number of photographers who will agree with Moose regarding the need of a filter.

Here's a pretty good discussion of the pros and cons of filters and UV filters in particular.

http://digital-photography-school.com/readers-lens-filters-to-use-or-not-to-use-your-2-cents-if-you-please

Good luck!