Wide Angle/Telephoto Accessory Kit

edited March 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Any advice on whether the wide angle accessory lens that comes in the accessory kit with the telephoto lens and filters is worth purchasing, or should I just spend the big bucks on the 10mm wide angle?

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Howdy @jedibondgirl71 - It sounds like you're referring to a third party bundle package that includes a bunch of off brand gear. My guess is that the "accessory lens" they're referring to is a screw on attachment. These usually have horrible distortion, poor image quality and can actually damage your kit lens.

I personally would stay away from package deals that include this type of thing.

Instead of throwing down a large sum on the Nikon 10-24mm, you could always go with a used Sigma 10-20mm or a Tamron 10-24mm. Both lenses are quite sharp and would give you a true wide-angle perspective. Best of luck and happy shooting!
  • edited March 2013
    Thanks, Moose. I'm mainly using my Nikon D3100 for kids, close ups and real estate room shots. I would like some decent quality on those room shots. Here's the package I was looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004N13AGI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A36VT43W2I07N0

I usually stay away from the junk, but I thought this might be a quick solution to a short term problem until I felt like asking santa or the man for the wide angle real deal Nikon lens. Thanks for your thoughts!
  • edited March 2013
    When using wide angle lens to shoot people you must be very careful because the picture will have a lot of distortion (big heads, big noses). I personally use the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 and I love it. These lenses cost a lot so think carefully what you really need, or you will be like most of us finding new excuses for more gear. :D
  • edited March 2013
    @jedibondgirl71 - Yep, I would stay away from that package. There's no real value there.

I edited my original reply, I had stated the Canon 10-22mm...I meant the Nikon 10-24mm. The two other third party lenses I mentioned (Sigma and Tamron) are correct.

The Tokina 12-24mm f/4 that @kravattisolmu mentioned is another fantastic wide-angle lens, however, it's not great for portraits and close-ups.

If you're trying to do real estate shots on a budget, you could always try taking an interior panorama with your 18-55mm kit lens (shoot at 18mm) and stitching them together.

For portraits and close-ups, your best bet would be the AF-S 35mm f/1.G, especially if the majority of your shots are indoors. Check out my visual guide for more info.

Happy shooting! :)
  • edited March 2013
    I would agree with Moose. At that price you would be buying rubbish. A decent tripod would cost you more than $86 and the so called lenses look like adaptors rather than an adjustable lens like your kit lens.
    I prefer to handle something before I buy it rather than play pass the parcel.
    If it is too good to be true, leave it alone.
    Good luck with your D3100, I am happy with mine.