Setup Recommendations

edited March 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I have the 18-55mm VR AF-S and the 55-200mm VR AF-S. I have been playing with the settings and I don't believe I am getting the best of what I am looking for. I mainly use it now for basic everyday life. I wanted to see if I can get some recommendation settings for certain situations. My son plays football and my daughter does Tball and we have alot of gatherings. I am in the process of ordering a cheap set of filters from Amazon to help with certain things also. I want to get some pictures of family faces while the party is in the background blurred a little. I will also be moving around alot so I wont have a tripod. I have tried all of the shooting modes and I try to stay either on A , S , or Auto. I have been reading on ISO and aperture, but I would love some professional input to get me started. I have had the D3100 and lenses for about 2 weeks. The main things I will be shooting are the zoo, outside/indoor family reunion, pictures against trees, fishing, T-ball, and football.

Comments

• Howdy @ddb1984 - If you haven't already, I recommend browsing through the many helpful threads here in the D3100 forum. You'll learn quite a bit from other D3100 owners who have faced the same hurdles.

To answer some of your questions...

1. To get portraits and family photos where your subject is sharp and the background is blurred in both bright outdoor light and low indoor light, it's best to use a bright lens...one that will allow you to use a low aperture f/number, somewhere around f/1.8 like the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G.

Unfortunately, the lenses you currently own won't allow you to use apertures that low. So in order to blur the background you'll have to go outdoors, attach your 55-200mm lens, zoom between 55-100mm, enable aperture priority (A) and select the lowest available aperture which will be between f/4 to f/5.6.

2. As for sports/action/wildlife shots, again its best to use a zoom lens with a bright aperture (around f/2.8), especially when shooting sports indoors and in low light (late afternoon and nighttime). If most of your action shots are outdoors under ample sunlight, then your 55-200mm lens will do just fine.

Just enable Shutter priority (S), set your shutter speed between 1/500 to 1/1000, set your ISO to Auto, enable continuous (burst) mode and set your focus mode to AF-C. This particular setup will allow you to continuously focus on your subject by half-pressing the shutter. When you fully press the shutter, hold it down to rattle off a series of shots in quick succession. This will increase your odds of a "keeper."

Hope that all makes sense and happy shooting! :)
  • edited March 2013
    Thanks so much. I have looked into other posts and they have other lenses which I didn't have. This gives me a great point to really start getting into some good shots. I am looking into the lens that you have suggested. Will that lens also be good for indoor shots of me trying to take pictures of my family with a sheet background and sitting on a box? I am just asking because I want to get another lens but I don't want to spend alot of money.
  • edited March 2013
    @ddb1984 - Yep, the 35mm f/1.8G would be a great starter lens for indoor "studio" type shots. If you do go with a studio setup, use a tripod and make sure you've got ample sources of light (continuous light boxes and/or speedlights).

The Nikon 50mm f/1.8G is another option, however, it has a longer focal length which can make it hard to compose your shot in a tight space or small room.
  • edited March 2013
    OK thanks. I think I will be getting that lens and the SB-400 sometime in the near future.