Non-Nikon Flash

edited March 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Has anyone attempted to get a non-Nikon flash to work correctly with their D3100? I have an old but still fully functional Nissin Auto 250 Thyristor flash that I would like to use with my D3100. The D3100 hotshoe fires flash OK, but I can't figure out how to get exposure right. I'm also not sure what shutter setting I should use for flash in order to prevent the shutter cutting off the image. The Nissin has both auto and manual settings.

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Hi @Bruiser69,
    Due to the flash not having TTL your exposure requires you to set it yourself. The flash will have power output ranging from normally (on a Nikon) 1/128 to full power. Not sure on yours though. I personally don't own a third party with TTL.
    The shutter setting should be no more than the sync speed, which on a D3100 is 1/200th of a second. If your images are getting black lines that means your flash is either not recharged properly (they have recycle times) or your shutter speed is to high. First, I would set the camera in Manual mode, set a shutter speed of 1/200th second, aperture of f/5.6, and ISO 100. Set the power on the flash to full and then start experimenting. You will see that the image may be over exposed depending how far the subject is. Work your way down until you get the correct exposure you're looking for.
  • edited March 2013
    Hi Riddelske,
    Should I use the Nissin flash in Auto or Manual mode?
    Auto utilizes a light sensor to control output. There is a slider calibrated in ISO going from 25-800. The slider switch that sets ISO also works on a scale of meters and F-stops. If I set ISO to 200 then it shows f/5.6 and f/6.5 meters. Documentation states that flash duration is 1/500 in manual and 1/30000 -1/500 in auto.
    The guide number for unit is 25/meters and states that the F-stop (for camera) equals the guide number divided by the distance.
  • edited March 2013
    How old is the flash? I think this one is going to beat me; it is before my time I think.
    If anything, I would use the flash in manual mode. If @moose has read this then he may be able to help.
  • edited March 2013
    Another point I may add is if the flash can only fire at 1/500, and no slower, then it will not work with the D3100 as the fastest it can go is 1/200th.
  • edited March 2013
    OK this explains why I get cut off due to shutter speed.
    I'd better start saving for a Nikon flash, preferably one that can do both hotshoe sync as well as sync remotely from the camera flash.