AF-S Question

AMKAMK
edited March 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
You said:

"AF-S: Focus is locked when shutter button is pressed halfway. If the subject moves away from the initial focus point, the subject will no longer be in focus".

So this is where you, for example, take a photo of a bottle on a table,. You press halfway to lock focus on the bottle. Now you move the camera a bit because you want the bottle on the side.

Now you say: "subject will no longer be in focus". Isn't that what you initially want, for the bottle to stay sharp?

I'm confused.

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Howdy @AMK - I'm assuming you're referring to my Focus Point and Focus Modes article?

The wording I used does seem a bit confusing. What I meant by "If the subject moves..." is that say you're photographing a person, an animal or something else that has the ability to move. If that subject moves towards you or away from you, they will fall outside the area in focus, thus requiring you to re-focus by half pressing the shutter.

If you're simply re-composing a shot, where you focus on a bottle, half-press to lock focus, and then align the bottle towards the right hand of the frame, then AF-S is the mode you'll want to use. Hope that makes sense and happy shooting!