Exposure Meter

edited February 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Whenever I turn my D3100 on to take some photos, the exposure meter flashes on/off along with the ! symbol on the bottom left of the screen. This happens on all the auto and P,S,A,M settings. The photo's I snap are ok, but should the meter/ ! flash all the time? Can anyone explain to me if this should happen, and if it shouldn't, how do I stop it?

Thanks, Neil

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Hi Neil,
    That has never happened to me before; very strange. Anyway, I'm here to help and sorry for the delay in replying. I suspect you have fixed it by now? What I would do is reset the shooting options. Hit the menu button on left hand side, then select the camera tab icon and you should see reset shooting (something along these lines). Then I want you to turn the dial to auto mode and see if it does it then.

• edited February 2013
    I'm having the same issue with my D3100. I just got it new in January, but I rarely use it. I'm trying to play around with it but I notice the exposure meter flashes. I read the manual and all settings seem to be fine.
  • edited February 2013
    Hi @Riddelske,

Thanks for your reply. Would the exposure meter flash to tell me that the subject is too dark, and I need to reset the exposure until the + or - is on 0 and then the meter should stop flashing?

As you can probably tell, I am very new to the world of DSLR photography and the camera is probably fine. It's just me not being very knowledgeable.

Cheers, Neil
  • edited February 2013
    Hi Vic,
    I have been researching this for both of you, but still fail to find anything so I need a little more info from you both. I need to find out exactly what's flashing.

In the viewfinder you will see the exposure meter +----0----- -; can you confirm if this is blinking, or is it the same description as Neil's? In the bottom left corner is there a ! symbol flashing? If so this is a warning to tell you there is not enough light.

• edited February 2013
    Hi Riddelske,

Have you seen my post from earlier? I think I have answered my own question.
  • edited February 2013
    Hi both of you,
    Because of my knowledge I've never been in a situation where there has not been enough light. After many years of photography it's second nature to to know how much light you have to work with.

So in conclusion I tested this and I have now found that it does flash when there is not enough light. It made me think for a while, but I've never seen it. Both of your cameras are fine! I believe there is a question mark flashing, so when you hit the question mark button it tells you that you need to raise the flash.

• edited February 2013
    Brilliant, thanks for your help Riddelske. I know where to come when I confuse myself.