Battery Grip

edited February 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Is it advisable to keep the battery grip on the camera all the time with both batteries connected? I am not sure if it is good for the camera, but I like using the camera with the grip on.

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Hi bez,
    I'm assuming you have purchased the third party battery grip? I personally don't have a battery grip for the D3100, but I do have one on my D7000. I would only take the batteries out if the camera is not being used for a long period of time. I would not bother using both batteries for short sessions. I've never taken them out, except for charging. Over a period of time (years) of not being used sometimes you may see battery corrosion if left in the device, but again I have never seen this in a DSLR camera.
  • edited February 2013
    Thanks for the help, I just want to keep my camera working at its best and did not know if it was a bad move leaving the battery grip on. Yes it is a third party grip. I didn't come across a Nikon one anywhere, but this one has been great.
    Thanks again.
  • edited February 2013
    Yes, Nikon doesn't make a genuine grip, which is a shame. Then again if they did it would be the same price as my D7000 which is nearly £200. The third party one is great; some of them have a portrait shutter release and even a remote.
    So to answer to your question, it's ok to leave the grip on, but remove the batteries if leaving for a long period of time. It should prolong the life of the camera and avoid any corrosion.

• edited February 2013
    Thanks, that answered my quesstion perfectly. We would be lost without all the help you guys give to all us newbies. Just had a new lens arrived to go with my 18-55mm kit lens; it's the 55-200mm
    AF-S DX VR. So I will probably be around here again soon with more questions!
  • edited February 2013
    The battery grip I have for mine is a Nikon MB-D51, which I think is made for the D5100, but fits on the D3100. I bought my camera off of eBay and it came with it. I looked on the Nikon website and could not find one listed though. It is nice to have the grip which doubles the amount of shots before needing to recharge.
  • edited February 2013
    Thanks for the reply. I have been looking for the grip you mentioned, but it's so hard to find. The one I ended up buying was the Meike. I was wary of it at first, as the price was low, but must say that it works perfectly. I would like to buy a Nikon one but didn't know of one at the time. Thanks, I will keep my eyes open.
  • edited February 2013
    Just so you know the MB-D51 is a counterfeit model. Nikon has not made and I doubt they will make one for the entry level DSLR; it's basically a third party grip with Nikon stickers. Hence the reason it's hard to get hold of now. It would have come in a Nikon box, but again it has been made to look like one. Both of your grips are good and still do the job.
  • edited March 2013
    Thanks Riddelske! I did think it was a Nikon product so I will stick with the one I have; it has been fine so thanks again.

I have been asked by a family member to take some pictures at a wedding in May, along with a family friend of theirs who has taken wedding photos before. Although I'm a little daunted I am looking forward to see how I do.

I just wanted to ask which lenses I would need to get some good shots. I have the 18-55mm kit lens and the 55-200mm. Are these going to give me good results?

I'm also going to the camera show in Birmingham and will be looking to buy my 50mm f/1.8G lens. I'm looking forward to getting that one as it seems a must have lens for so many situations. Thanks for your time and help once again.