Accessories

edited February 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I have a Nikon D3100 with 50 mm, 18-55 mm and 55-300 mm lenses. Also, I have ordered a Raynox DCR 250, which I assume will arrive in a few days. I think they are more than enough while I learn photography. Now I want to buy external flash, a sturdy tripod and may be a remote shutter. I bought my 50 mm lens and Raynox after reading good reviews about them in this forum. Now guys, please recommend me some good third party, easy to use external flashes, tripods and remote shutters. I assume remote shutter can be used on the D3100? My budget for flash is 250 US dollar.
Thanks,
Learner

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Hi Learner,
    External flashes are a great addition to any DSLR. I can recommend two flashes for a starter, and then we shall see what you think. If you want to get creative and go off camera then I would look into the Yongnuo flashes, they're the equivalent of any branded Nikon range (i.e SB-600 upwards). There is a big difference in price and it can still produce the same quality images. I personally have two of the newer 560 II range and they do the job perfectly. I also own an SB-700.
    The 560 has the ability of being an optical slave, so it will fire when another flash fires, preferably the on camera flash. Its head can turn in a multitude of angles so you can bounce flash off the walls and get creative in your shots. My second choice would be the SB-400, a much more basic on camera flash that attaches to the hot shoe. It has four angles you can point the flash, but this is a very basic flash. It all depends what you want to do; either an upgrade of the on camera flash or go for a little more creativity.

Tripods come in all different makes; too many if you ask me. In all the years of my photography life I've always stood by the trusty Manfrotto tripod. Yes they are very expensive, more than a flash, but they're sturdy and reliable. I personally like the pod to be sturdy rather than it have many features. They do have a wide range and you would need to look and see what suits you for your needs.

Unfortunately the D3100 is only able to have a cable release remote and not an infrared one. Nikon has one and I believe it's only around $40; it's the MC-DC2 remote cord. You can pick one up on a well known auction site for less than $10.
  • edited February 2013
    I second the SB-400. It does a good job particularly on fill flash and it's very small and compact.

If you can get another $50 into your budget you can buy a refurbished SB-700 speedlight straight from Nikon for $299.96:
    http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/en_US/pd/ThemeID.18145600/productID.242455800

I've bought a refurbished SB-400 and 55-300 DX VR lens and they look and perform like new at a decent discount over a brand new one.
  • edited February 2013
    Hi Riddelske,

You are awesome. Thanks a lot for taking time to reply to me. This is my first DSLR camera and I have never used external flash. That means I have no idea what to look for when buying a external flash. Currently, I'm interested in portraiture, and I plan to do some freelance photo journalism after a few months. I know it takes a lot of research, study and practice to know things, but this forum is such a great place. I can ask anything and people like you are always there to help. I know a good external flash makes a lot difference, so wanted to buy one. I live in Australia and had a look at the Yongnuo 560 ii flash. It sells for $75. Could you please tell me what the pros and cons of this flash are? Also, I read about TTL and ETTL a while ago, but did not exactly get what they meant. Please explain. If I use this flash on my D3100, does it work on auto?

Regards,
    Learner
  • edited February 2013
    Hi ZekeMenuar, thanks for the response. Don't get me wrong, but I prefer not to go for second hand items. Have you used third party flashes?
    Regars,
    Learner
  • edited February 2013
    Hi learner,
    Thank you for the kind comments. After reviewing my recommendations I don't think the yonguno 560 would benefit you as it does not have TTL (you nudged my memory). TTL stands for through the lens. In basic terms it defines an output in power for the scene. This flash is a great addition if you could understand using manual settings because you determine the power output of the flash yourself. The only con of the flash I can think of is the TTL missing.

ETTL = Canons latest flash additon
    ITTL = Nikons latest flash addition

So my advice now would be to consider the SB-400 for a starter flash until you get more familiar with flash power.

Please note that the flash is very basic, but it gives more power than the pop up and is able to be tilted, giving you more creativity in portraiture work. Please do consider @ZekeMenuar advice; they are well refurbished and still work as new. I purchased a lens and it is still like new.
  • edited February 2013
    Personally I use Nissin DI 622 Mark II. It rotates 360 degrees and has TTL and also I-TTL. Has a very good flash; I always use it when having family meetings. I just make it bounce off the roof or wall behind me so the flash is not going directly to the subject. It does it all and I'll never need a better flash. It cost $130-140 new.
  • edited February 2013
    Thanks Riddelske and Kravattisolmu. Based on the users reviews and price comparison I might go for Nissin. How easy is it to operate when you are new to an external flash?