Portrait and Product Photography Lens

edited February 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hi,

I've returned to a DSLR after a number of years absent and have bought a D3100 and kit lens as well as a 55-200mm lens. My interests were mainly around family portraits, kids events and candid photography. I had been looking at the 50mm f/1.8 afs as my next lens to play with and considering flash odd on options for the D3100. Recently I've been asked to help with all the product photo shots we need at work. We have a well constructed DIY light box made at work by the last guy who looked after this area. I've read about the 60mm f/2.8 lens as a recommended option but I'm hoping to get one lens that can cover both family portraiture and give good results with the product photo shots. Can you recommend any affordable lenses I can consider?

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Jasvinder,
    The 50mm f/1.8 AF-S is a fantastic play around lens; it produces some good images. I find sharpness lacks when wide open, but generally this is a really good lens. Personally I would not se a 50mm for the product shoot; I would prefer to use something with a little bit more focal length and the ability of macro. So I would recommend the 60mm. It's a really good lens, and its ideal for portraits too. I'm a big fan of the 105mm; it's nice and is a great all rounder. Only problem the price is around £600. Do you have a budget and also would you consider using a 3rd party lens?
  • edited February 2013
    Thanks for the info. I had been budgeting for the 50mm f/1.8, but have been looking at the 60mm lens you have suggested. I can consider third party too. I was also looking at the Raynox DCR-250 macro attachment as I could get the 50mm lens I'm considering and use this as an inexpensive macro option.
  • edited February 2013
    I'm not familiar with the Raynox, but I have heard good things. It's always good to find a cheaper alternative. I've made my own light box, that has a built in infinity cove, using a single white sheet of paper and two table top lamps. I find this produces some of the best shots.
    The jump from the 50mm to 60mm is quite a bit more, but as you suggested the Raynox will make it a macro. The only thing I couldn't say is if the minimum focus distance will change. The 50mm has a minimum focusing distance of 1.5 ft where as the 60mm is 8", so it's slightly shorter. If you do decide to get the Raynox let us know how it performs.
  • edited February 2013
    We've also made our own lightbox using sturdy white foam board. I had a look at buying one recently but it's good to hear we've started out doing things the way the experts are doing things. What sort of lightbulbs do you use? Also, our last creative designer who made the lightbox had cut a hole in the top (with a cover) to have a third light bulb hanging at the top. I'm wondering if I need to keep it this way?

I spent some time last night looking at our products through the zoom lenses. We sell mostly beauty type items; lots of bottles, lotions, cream tubes, jars and hair accessories where attention to details does not have to be particularly high. We also do wigs and hair pieces, but I think this wil be better left to a pro with good looking and suitable models.

I plan to order the 50mm f/1.8 as this seems like a less expensive lens and I get a lens I was keen on buying for myself. I've been allowed to buy some equipment from work as they are for work projects, but I have to keep the budget realistic! I've put together a small list for an inexpensive tripod, macro focusing rail (not sure if i need this), 50mm f/1.8 afs, Raynox (probably 150mm because I think 250mm will be too close for our product types. I can also consider other options here but Raynox seems to have good reviews) and a flash option. Do we really need the macro ring flash? I have 2-3 light bulbs in and around the lightbox. I was thinking of just getting the simple SB40 and a simple diffuser as a better option over the built in Nikon D3100 flash. Any thoughts on this list before I wrap the order up this weekend?

Jass

• edited February 2013
    Jass,
    The hole in the top for the third light was used as a type of hair light as we call it. I don't think you would need to use it, but then again you may feel you want to. This should never over power, and it's the last thing you should notice in a shot.

50mm is a perfect all rounder lens; it will benefit you and your portrait work.

I would leave out the focusing rail. I don't think it's necessary. Maybe swap it with a cable release cord?

I dont think you would need a flash if your lighting the box with the lamps; it should be more than enough light. Then again it would benefit you.

When you say SB40 do you mean the SB-400? That's a good starter flash but your limited to on camera flash. You will have the ability to change the angle in which the light falls.

On the subject of bulbs, I use 40w CF (compact fluorescent). Make sure you get the neutral color as this will affect the colors in the photo.

• edited February 2013
    My equipment arrived few days ago and I got the shutter release cord as you suggested.

I will probably test out the product shots this week and report back. I've been playing with the 50mm f/1.8 at some family events today and I'm really glad I chose it. Got some great candid shots as well as some informal portraits.
  • edited February 2013
    Excellent, I can't wait to see some of the product shots. The 50mm is a good lens. Have you been using it outside ?