What Lens Should I Buy?

edited January 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I want to buy a new lens. What lens should I buy?

Comments

• edited January 2013
    What kind of photography do you like? What are your main subjects? Most importantly what is your budget?
  • edited March 2013
    I have a similar question. I do family photos of babies and couples. Is all of that considered portrait photography? I have a 50mm lens, but it is manual focus only. It is hard to take photos of fast kids and babies with a manual lens (at least it is for me), so I was wondering what another good lens would be that I can make sure has auto focus? I do not have a big budget.
  • edited March 2013
    You're looking for the G type lenses with an autofocus motor.

35mm f/1.8G or 50mm f/1.8G are about as cheap as it gets for prime lenses that autofocus.

Perhaps selling one for a newer will help save some money.
  • Howdy @Newbie - Yep, the manual focus 50mm f/1.8 is impossible for kids and babies. I recommend the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G.

This lens is compatible with your D3100 (yay autofocus) and it's also a bit wider than the 50mm, which is great for capturing kids and babies indoors where you can't physically back up to get them to fit within the frame of the shot.

Happy shooting! :)
  • Thank you very much!
  • edited April 2013
    @Moose, do you have other lens guides like the one you linked above? That would be great for future reference.
  • @Newbie - Glad to help! Yep, you can also check out these lens guides...

- Nikon 50mm f/1.8G
    - Nikon 55-300mm f/4-5.6G VR

I'm in the process of creating a bunch more, stay tuned. :)