Piece of Dust When Looking Through Eyepiece

edited January 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Looking through the eyepiece without the lens, there is a piece if dust that shows up where the focus points are. After removing the lens, I used compressed air to blow out the inside, however, the dust is still there. I even cleaned the low pass filter. The dust particle does not appear in our photos from what I can see.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Unfortunately the dust you can see is in a place which you can not remove.
    1. The particle has fallen in the viewfinder. This can be accessed but I would not recommend it.
    2. The particle has fallen behind the mirror, and is wedged between the plastic and mirror.

I know it's annoying and can be an eyesore for some people, but it's a common DSLR problem. It's a case you have to live with or pay big bucks to get it serviced, but it will more than likely happen again.
    Regards
  • edited January 2013
    You confirmed what I was thinking. Yes it is an eyesore, but I can live with it. Considering my options, I guess I have to unless as you said, pay big bucks.
    Thank you for responding, I appreciate it!
    Many thanks and have a great day.
    Ray
  • edited January 2013
    The same piece of dust invaded my D3100 three weeks after I bought the camera.
    I sent it to Nikon in California. Nikon charged me $100 to remove the piece of dust as it wasn't covered by warranty.
  • edited January 2013
    Was it showing up in your pictures? This is aggravating! Look, I realize it's not the $8,000 D3X, so I didn't pay for top of the line, but it's Nikon. $100 bucks is a lot! They should pick up the tab for something like this; I'm not asking for a new lens.
  • edited January 2013
    You're right, Nikon should honor their warranty, but they didn't. That's the only issue I've had with it. After that experience I work under the assumption that Nikon won't honor their warranty.
  • edited January 2013
    Nikon & Canon have a very bad reputation with their warranties. It's weird how they wont fix things that they clearly should. If your gear starts to cost a lot get seperate insurance to your gear. In fact it doesn't even cost that much although you pay for nothing every year if everything is ok.