Transcend SDHC 10 16GB Memory Card Problem

edited January 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
After shooting approximately 400 pictures the first month of owning our brand new Nikon D3100, a message reads on the screen, "This memory card cannot be used. Card may be damaged. Please insert another card."
It's a brand new camera and a brand new supposedly compatible memory card, and all of our irreplaceable (birth of my first born) pictures are gone! Any resolution?

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Sorry for the delay in answering. I'm not aware of this brand of SD. I have one option you may want to consider. Have you used this SD card in a computer before and formatted it? You could try and view the pictures on there first. It may ask to format it and if it does please cancel this operation. Now for the second part, reset the camera and take battery out, then replace. Make sure the lock on the side of the card is not in the down position as this makes the card locked. Then put the card in and hopefully it will work. If it doesn't then you will have no choice but to format it in camera.

On a personal note, I've never used anything other than Scan disk make. Yes we all like to take short cuts in price but I find that these are very good. I use class 10 30gb extreme video and they have never failed me...yet. ;)
    Regards
  • edited January 2013
    Hi Raygsok,
    This happened to me on a hiking trip in New Zealand. The camera was a Canon compact and the message was the same.
    It is important not to try and use the card and definitely don't format it in camera or PC.
    I used a program called "Get Data Back" but there are many other programs out there (even free) that will recover data from a memory card that has corrupted data. Google is your friend.
    I recovered all but two out of 250 shots, so I was pretty happy.

Good luck and happy shooting.
  • edited January 2013
    Hi Raygsok,

I had a similar problem in 2010. I went to Mexico and had many pictures of the different trips I took over a period of 6 months. On one of my last trips, in December, I was just about to enter a system of cave and tunnels when my battery gave up as I was browsing my pictures/videos. I immediately changed the battery for a spare one and powered up my camera but to my astonishment I had an error message: card error, card locked. I initially thought I might have hit the locking mechanism on the card or something but it wasn't the case and I was unable to fix the card on the spot.

Eventually I kept the card, and didn't format it or use it in any other way. When I came back home a month later I had a photo store try to recuperate my pictures and videos on the card but they were unsuccessful. Eventually I read a lot about card problems and tried different things but with no success. I even downloaded over 15-20 programs that say they will recover your pictures but it didn't do the trick. I really thought my photos were lost and that I never would get them back.

Fast forward 3 years later to January 2013. I recently stumbled upon my card well packed and preserved and thought I'd do some more research in order to find a solution. I downloaded new programs but just as before they didn't work. I eventually realized it was really a physical problem and looked for different options. I saw different recovery companies, but prices were usually pretty expensive. I actually ended up on http://recoverfab.com/ and read about the whole process (more physical), and saw the video of the procedure on youtube. I was a bit sceptic at first, knowing that those processes are quite expensive and are not guaranteed to work but eventually I started looking at the reviews on different websites about the positive experiences people had with the company and decided to seek more information.

I emailed the website and received information the next day. I finally decided to give it a try; I really didn't have much to lose at this point. I created an order form and filled out the required information. I was given all the information on how to send my card, where to, and most important, there were no charges until there was a positive recovery, and only after seeing preview pictures of your files would you need to pay for the service. I never thought it would be so affordable to get all my pictures back from such a service. It only took them a few days after receiving my card to get a positive reply.

Feel free to look into Recoveryfab. I sincerely hope you are able to recover your pictures as I understand memories have no price, and thanks to that company, I was able to access them once again 3 years later.

Hope it helps and good luck.
  • edited March 2013
    Hey Raygsok,

We recently took a trip to Australia, and after taking about 500+ pictures I had the exact same problem; same message on the camera and everything. The only difference is that I was using a Nikon D3200. After countless attempts at downloading recovery programs I had no luck at even getting the computer to recognize that there was even a card inserted into the drive. So, I did more research online and found out about this website called www.recoverfab.com. After reading a bunch of reviews of people that had used this company and been successful I decided to take a chance and send my card to him. I didn't have to much to lose since I had tried pretty much everything else to get my photos back. The cool thing about this company is that they don't make you pay anything except postage to get the package there until they have retrieved your photos. So after about a week and a half I received a message that the memory card had made it, and two days later another message that they had retrieved my photos! Amazing! I was so excited to get my photos back. So I would highly recommend recoverfab to get your photos back. They have pricing on how much it is depending on the size of your card, but if you're like me it didn't matter how much it cost if I could get those once in a lifetime photos back.

Good luck.