Macro Mode Focusing Issues

edited January 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
I have been playing around in the macro mode taking pictures of my dog and various items. Now I have ran into a problem. When I get really close up on an object the camera will refuse to focus and take the picture. Is there a better way of focusing and getting the shot to complete? Also I'm using a kit lens. It's not a lighting problem either. Please help.

Comments

• edited January 2013
    A kit lens is not a macro lens, although it can do it decently. Every lens has a focus distance. When you get too close to subject the lens won't focus. If you want to focus really close you have to do manual focus. Kit lenses focus almost like macro lens, so if you're going to upgrage your lens someday remember that most lenses can't focus this close.
  • edited January 2013
    You can also turn your lens into a real macro lens with Raynox DCR 250 macro extension. I haven't personally tested it, I just saw some photos on flickr.
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks. So if I turn the AF off and switch to manual while using the up close mode (flower) then I should get some good shots of things up close?
  • edited January 2013
    If your using the kit lens there are a couple of settings you can change to get better results.
    Change the focus mode to AF-C.
    Change the AF Area Mode to single point focus.
    If you have a stationary target, get out your tripod and remote shutter release.
    Get as close as the auto-focus allows and blow up the shot in post processing.

Since I bought my D3100 I use the 55-200 DX VR or the 55-300 DX VR to shoot bugs and other small subjects.
  • edited January 2013
    I would like to add that all lenses have a minimum focus distance, and when you are under that the lens will not focus. The kit lens has a minimum of 0.9ft/10.8 inches. When doing macro work this will normally cause a problem if you're too close to the subject. I believe this is the issue tommy is having; this is common when too close.
    Regards
  • edited January 2013
    In short, you cannot focus when the camera is too close; closer than the minimal focussing distance of the lens.
    This minimum focus distance (automatic or manual) depends on the lens. Zooming will not change that distance.
  • edited January 2013
    Remember that kit lenses can do amazing macro shots. Set to 55mm and then 100% crop. If you use flash and happen to have tripod you get super results. Check out the flickr topic about this. I'm not much into macros so I'm looking to buy those extension tubes. They do a decent job (like in your relatives wedding they can zoomg into rings, cards and etc.).